"I Think I Dropped My Croissant*

Charlie's POV

    I walked into the hospital and the strong smell of hand sanitizer hit me strongly like always. I made my way to the elevator waving at some of the nurses who recognized me.

The hummed slightly to the tune the elevator had played. The tune instantly sticking to my brain as I walked out of the elevator and towards my moms room. I stopped before I entered the room. I took a turn and began walking down the long empty hallway.

I came to the door before I even realized it. The peds section. I looked into this play area where Hannah was playing around with other kids, a huge smile on her face.

Unlike the last time I had saw her she had no hair. It looked freshly shaved. Although she didn't have hair a large bow that was connected by a headband sat on her head. With a smile I turned around and began my walk back to my mothers room.

I didn't knock and just walked right in. Her hand was lifted half up towards her mouth, a croissant sat in her hands. The opening of the door had startled her and her croissant dropped out of her hand and rolled near my feet.

"I'm sorry for startling you momma." I said with a small smile. Her mouth grew into a full blown grin.

"I think I dropped my croissant." She laughed. I joined in and squared down to grab it. I passed it back to her and she sat it down on her dinner plate.

"Momma graduation is next month." I said with a smile. She smiled at me.

"I know deary. I wish I could come and see you get your diploma." She said sadly.

"And momma guess what!" I said. She hummed in respond.

"I'm the salutatorian! I got number two. I almost was valedictorian but I was off by one." Her sad smile grew into a full blown grin once again. She pulled me down to her and hugged me tightly.

"I'm so proud of you my baby." She said kissing my forehead. I giggled at her.

    I spent a few more hours with my mom and by the time I had left it was dark outside. We talked about so much. I told her more about Jacob. I told her how I don't know what I'm going to do for college. We just talked and it was nice.

     I had completely forgot Jacob was going to be at my house until I pulled up and he sat outside on the stairs. When I got out of the car a huge smile lit up his face. He jogged over to me and pulled me to his chest in a tight hug. He kissed the top of my head before looking down at me.

    "How was talking to your mom." He said sitting down on the porch swing. I followed him sitting down next to him. He put his arm around me and pulled me to him before swinging us slowly.

    "It was really nice. I haven't went and seen her in a while so it was nice to catch up. I told her how I got number two for GPA's." I trailed off after that. He looked at me with wide eyes.

   "You got number two!" He exclaimed. I nodded with a huge smile. A grin burst onto his lips and he pulled me to him. He hugged me before connecting his lips to mine quickly.

    "I'm so proud of you baby." He said. I smiled at him. He then stood up and reached his hand out. I grabbed it and he pulled me up.

    Without a word he smiled at me and led me off the deck and towards the backyard gate. He opened the gate and my eyes instantly looked at the lit candle path. I looked up at Jacob but he just looked away and continued to lead me.

    When we came to my backyard my jaw dropped. There were candles surrounding a table while fairy lights hung from the trees. On the table was a vase of sunflowers, my favorite flower. There were two plates on the ends and a large dish covered by a metal lid in the middle. I looked up at Jacob to see him already looking down at me.

    "This is-" I paused and looked around more. Tears spilled out of my eyes happy years of course.

    "If it's too much we can go get Taco Bell and I'll send someone over to clean this up. Fuck I'll send someone over right now." He said grabbing his phone out. For the first time it sounds like Jacob is nervous.

   I reached forward and took his phone out of his hands. He looked at me like a lost puppy. I smiled up at him and connected my lips to his. He responded instantly and wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me to him.

     "I love this thank you." I said smiling up at him after pulling away. He smiled down at me before leading me over to the table. He pulled a chair out for me and pushed it back in when I sat down.

    He lifted the lid revealing one of my favorite meals ever. Chicken Alfredo. My smile grew even further and my mouth watered looking at it. He scooped some up and put it in my plate before giving himself some.

    When I tell you that was some of the best chicken Alfredo I've ever have, believe me. I ate two servings of it.

    After we ate Jacob sat the dishes on another side table and turned to me. Once again he looked nervous.

    "I want you to know that this isn't what you think. I'm not actually doing what you're probably going to think I'm doing." He stood up and grabbed my hand. He got down on one knee and my heart dropped. He said he isn't doing what I think he is so what is he doing.

    He pulled out a small velvet box and that's when I got lost. He said he isn't doing what I think so literally, what is he doing?

    He opened the box and I gasped at what was inside. A gorgeous silver banded ring with a sapphire gem sat in the box. It was absolutely gorgeous.

    "This was my moms ring and she wore it all the time. Before she died she wrote a note and told me to give this to the woman who I love. This isn't me saying will you marry but this is a promise ring." He paused before taking a breath.

    "I have never felt like this for anyone. You are my special person Charlie. You calm me and make me want to be happy, which is something no one has done before." He smiled at me.

    "This ring is my promise that no matter what I'll be here for you. I will wait for you until you decide that you will let me ask you to be my wife. I will wait because I know at this moment neither of us are ready."

    "You are the only one I'll love Charlie so I want you to have my mothers ring. You captured the devils heart." He finished. Tears fell from my cheeks. I smiled at him and nodded. He smiled even brighter and slid the ring on above the ring he had given me before. He lifted my hand up and pressed a kiss to the ring.

    "I love you Charlie." He said looking at me.

    "I love you too Jacob." I said. He stood up and looked nervous once again. Oh god what does he had planned now.

   "So I know how much this means to you and that's why I am doing it. I don't dance but I own many tux's. Charlie will you go to prom with me?" He asked scratching the back of his neck.

    "Of course." I giggled and jumped into his arms. He caught me with ease. I connected my lips to his. He smiled into the kiss before pulling back.

   "I love you." I said.

    "And I love you." He replied with a dimple showing smile.