Chapter 12

Hey guys, just want to let you all know that I'm trying to get at least one update up every week. Thanks so much for your patience and for reading my book!

"So you guys are going to Colorado?" Abi quizzes me, as we walk back from doing our rounds.

I nod, glancing up from the form I'm trying to fill in, as I walk. "Uh-huh, I mean Liv suggested it for Simon, but I'm not complaining about getting out of here for while."

"Well if you're about to switch out the scorching heat for hot chocolate and oversized coats, then I vote that we have a beach day before you go."

I stop beside the entrance to the emergency room, rewarding Abi with a grin. "Fine by me."

"You should know, Hayden will find out about it and invite himself, which will automatically give Simon a reason to go."

I shrug. "Doesn't matter to me."

"So if he ogles other girls, you won't care?"

I shake my head. "Not one bit."

Abi shakes her head, a knowing grin on her face. "Whatever, if that's how you're gonna play it, I'll play it too."

I shake my head, trying to hide the small smile making it's way onto my face at Abi's intelligence. "Anyway, unlike you, I actually need to do some work."

"You actually work?" Abi feigns confusion. "I thought we were here to gossip."

"Oh shut up, I'll see you later."

Abi nods, turning in the opposite direction, as I push one of the double doors, leading into the chaos. "I'll text you the beach day deets."

I let out a frustrated sigh, when the uncontrollable noise of the emergency room deafens me. "The joys of night shift."

**✿❀ ❀✿**

I quietly push the front door shut behind me, as I arrive back from work at 4am. They're not my usual shifts but Clara, a colleague, called in sick and when my boss asked me to cover, I thought it'd be a good idea to get on her good side before I request my few days off.

A few minutes later I'm pulling the bathroom door open after a quick, refreshing shower. I'm nearly at my room when I head a noise from inside Simons room. With a shake of my head, I decide it's just my mind playing tricks on me after a long day, but as I grab my door handle I hear the noise again.

Only this time I can hear the noise.

"Help, help!" Simons voice bellows. "It's Bennett, we need help down here."

I quietly take a few steps so that I'm standing outside Simons door. The distressed shouts don't stop but they become more mumbled, making them impossible to understand.

After a few seconds of a mental battle, I push the door open, slowly walking into the room. When I glance over at a distressed Simon, I find him in a deep sleep, that looks anything but peaceful. The crumpled duvet is indication that he's been tossing and turning for long enough.

"Simon." I whisper, taking a few steps closer to him. "Simon, wake up!"

I reach out to shake him awake, but my hand barely touches his shoulder when his fingers quickly wrap around my wrist and pulls me which slams me onto the bed. Simon ends up on top of me, holding my hands above my head. I expect him to scramble away once he notices it's me, but instead we stay in the same position, both of us breathing heavily.