37 | all came crashing down

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

taehyung gritted his teeth, hands clenching around the steering wheel as he was speeding off in his vehicle. frustration was crawling at him, like veins wrapping themselves around his body and itching into his skin. 

his jaw was clenched as fury bubbled inside of him, the hitman lost it and let out a deep growl, frustration laced within the sounds. his hand suddenly came up as he furiously started to bang repeatedly on the steering wheel.

"fucking cunt! shithead! little bitch!" he yelled through his clenched teeth. "dumb fucker! i told him to stay!"

the hand came up to desperately grapple at his hair roots, the stress and worry crashing down onto him as his foot pressed down onto the acceleration pedal. 

"i swear to fucking god, jeongguk..." he hissed, hand coming down to switch gear as he violently swerved to the left, wheels screeching against the asphalt road.

"jeongguk..." his brother tried to reason calmly, taking slow cautious steps towards the boy that was currently holding their mother at knife-point. "let go of mom."

but the teen only snickered, pressing the blade deeper into his mother's neck, the women's breath hitched as she sobbed pathetically.

his eyes scanned the room, police officers having their guns pointed at him if he dared to move.

"that's our mother, jeongguk-ah. don't do this." his brother pleads with faux distress, it was sickening how much he was pushing this 'golden-boy' image onto everyone around them. "she loves you."

jeongguk chuckled, throwing his head back as his chest rumbled with his unhinged diabolical laughter.

"never knew you were so funny." jeongguk snorted. "this bitch doesn't know love. none of you do."

"and you do?" his brother discreetly rolls his eyes. 

"love burns, brother." jeongguk smiles, genuinely. "when you love someone, you'd give your everything for them."

"as if you'd know about love." his brother muttered under his breath, annoyed at whatever bullshit the younger was spewing. 

"i know more than you ever could. love is sacrificing." jeongguk's eyes turn melancholic. "and i would sacrifice everything for him. everything."

"but i make things so much harder for him. he's better off without me." a sad smile tugged at the end of jeongguk's lips. he wasn't stupid, he noticed how stressed taehyung appeared recently, and he knew it was because of him. it was his fault.

the teenager snaps out of his thoughts and his expression is replaced a psychotic-looking one. 

"but before i go..." jeongguk mutters as he traces his mother's cheek with the sharp blade, tapping it lightly. amusement filled his eyes as his mother tearfully weeped and choked on her cries as she whimpered in his hold. pure fear oozing from her as her body trembled. "i need to show this bitch what i think about her so-called 'love'."

and before anyone could stop him, jeongguk dragged his knife and sliced it through the artery located under the skin of his mother's pale neck.

taehyung was too late.

he slammed his car door shut, heart dropping at the sight of the flashing sirens and stacked police cars.

he watched as two officers shoved jeongguk towards one of the vehicles, the boy had blood decorating his shirt.

taehyung watches in complete disbelief.

jeongguk's eyes were brimmed with hardened tears and his expression was stoic. he looked lifeless, like a walking empty shell that held no humanity. 

but the second he caught sight of taehyung, jeongguk's entire demeanour changed. he glew up, face brightening and smile stretching out onto his lips.

the boy brought up his cuffed hands and fucking waved.

twiddling his fingers in the air as he bounced on his heels, grinning like an innocent child.

reality harshly slapped taehyung across the face.

jeongguk was simply too fucked up. he's lost touch to common rationality and a peaceful state of mind. 

the only time the teen could ever come close to the feeling of peace was when he lay huddled up with taehyung in bed, the sound of the older's heart drumming against his ear, sheets pooled around their naked bodies.

but otherwise...

he was constantly anxious, paranoid. eyes flicking left and right, head perking up at every sound, nervously biting down on his nails with his leg bouncing up and down whenever he was sitting.

he wasn't... okay.

taehyung was the only one able to snap jeongguk out of his trance, bring the boy down back from his constant high and give him the warmth of a caring embrace.

but the second taehyung loosened his grip, his arms relaxing as they encased jeongguk's body, the teenager fell and slipped right through.

he just couldn't hold on. no matter how hard he desperately clutched at jeongguk's hand, the boy would always slip right through his fingertips.

jeongguk's head was being pressed down by an officer, forcing him into one of the cars. as the door slammed shut in jeongguk's face, taehyung thought he could almost recognise an emotion he hadn't seen on jeongguk in a long time.

misery.

it was then the older understood.

he was the only thing feeding jeongguk's happiness right now, and without him around, the boy was completely and utterly miserable.

but jeongguk still tried, forcing out a smile which was so heartbreaking that taehyung had to look away to stop himself from yanking the boy out of the vehicle and shooting everyone down.

no, he couldn't do that.

he was the adult in the pairing. it was his responsibility to act rationally. if jeongguk wasn't going to do it, then taehyung had to. 

be rational, he thought. be rational.

that was the worst mistake taehyung made.

end of 37

what's been your favourite part of the book? m'curious

i mean you're still here so m'assuming you're enjoying the read lol