Chapter 9

Oh woah, he looked good. Really, really good. The kind of good that makes you think twice about standing next to him when people are around because you would feel like some sort of misshapen creature in comparison to him.

Which I did.

Out of all the days I could have ran into him, it had to be tonight. The same fucking day I barely had time to put something on my face or throw something better on than old light denim. A plain black shirt and pants are actually prerequisites in the boutique. Like uniforms, but simpler. It wasn't like he was in a suit or anything. He too- was in jeans and a beige hoodie. Nonetheless, he made it look incredible.

Yeah, incredibly daunting, maybe.

He appeared to be perishing to say something when I was voicing my farewells. But he held off and let me amble off. I'm fucking delighted. I could barely even look him in the eyes after last night's shenanigans. The humiliation was still too great. The first time I try and ask a guy to dance and he tells me off. Humiliating indeed. The first and last time I pull that shit. What was I even fucking thinking?

I wasn't. That was the problem. I still blame the alcohol.

He gave me that look again.

That profound, I'm-resolute-and gazing into your consciousness- look. Like he saw me or something. He really should pursue a career in hypnotism. I don't know how he does it.

And it's ridiculous. Isn't this, like, the third time we've seen each other?

Not that I'm counting.

I would've never guessed that's who Cassie's brother would be. I nearly had a heart attack when I saw him walking up to her.

Kind of stupid, since I do remember Scott calling him Dominguez, and not by his first name. Oddly enough, I didn't connect the dots after Cassandra's admission. He's Kayden Dominguez. He's the son of one of the biggest names around the state.

Not that I really give a shit. I'm still not interested.

So I don't know why I can't seem to keep my head in the game when this guy is around. Disruption would be an understatement.

Kylie practically jumps me the second I walk into the silo. Eyes nearly popping out of her sockets. ''Oh my God. Who the hell was that?'' I almost cover my ears with my palms at the pitch of her voice.

''Her name was Cassie. Did you forget already?'' 

She narrows her eyes, her blonde bangs slightly falling over them. ''Don't play dumb with me right now, sister. Spill it.''

''That was her brother, Kayden.''

''Kayden...'' she falters. ''That's hot.''

''He is.'' I nod in agreement as I walk past her to lock all backdoors. Also as a reminder to her that we're supposed to be working and closing up the shop.

''You guys looked real comfortable over there. You sure he doesn't hold another title besides 'Cassie's brother?'''

I can't help the laugh that escapes me. Yeah right. ''Nope, more of a mutual friend type of thing.'' I wouldn't really call him a friend of mine. I barely know the guy.

''Oh, he's one of your girls'?''

''Joshua's best friend.'' I correct. He's been in here to pick me up a couple of times, so she knows who he is.

''Fucking hell, those two are best friends?'' She fans herself dramatically. ''What a duo.''

What a duo, indeed. No matter how much I want to kick Josh in the nuts out of irritation every other day, I can't deny the fact that he's one good-looking fucker. His dark, caramel skin and little curls are enough for him to get anyone he wants. Throw in his dazzling smile, add the amiable, swoon-worthy mouth of his, and you'll get the ladies on your knees. He sure does.