Chapter 3: Home

H O M E

———

Mal's POV

The past couple months in Slytherin had been tough, everyone there continued bothering me about being a "mudblood," since they didn't know where I actually came from. The only ones in Hogwarts that knew are Hermione and apparently Dumbledore. I'd like to keep it that way. I had made no progress with Malfoy, he continued being a jerk to me and making fun of me for being friends with "the enemy." My little group actually accepted me, despite being a Slytherin and we had gone on countless adventures together, even getting in trouble for some of them. Whenever we were together the Slytherins glared at me, weirdly Draco didn't, not when he was alone at least. He would look at us and his face took on a look of-- longing? Sadness? I'm not sure what it is but it isn't as mean or evil as the facade he constantly puts on around everyone else.

Finally it was summer and time to go back home, since this hasn't been feeling as much of a "home" as it should, I was glad. I would finally see my parents and be able to hang out with Mione without Slytherins whispering judgemental comments behind us.

"Granger! Wait up!" I heard a voice I knew all too well and rolled my eyes as I turned around.

"What Malfoy?" I snapped at him.

"This year wasn't so fun for you, was it?" He tilted his head to the side curiously, much like a dog.

I scoffed. "Seriously Malfoy? Must you come and rub it in my face? You and your single brain celled posse made sure this year wouldn't be fun for me, you got what you wanted, so could you just let me go home in peace?" I sighed, exhausted from being the constant mockery of the Slytherin house.

"Alright. Have a good summer Granger." He said quietly and walked away. Malfoy? Walking away with no snotty comeback? I must've hit a nerve. I groaned at this tugging feeling in my heart and turned around to board the train to go back to my parents.

2 years later.

My parents, Mione, and I were eating our last dinner before going back to Hogwarts tomorrow morning for our third year and that's when I felt it. I got hit in the back with a... pole? Of some sort? But when I looked behind me there was not one there.

*Smack* a harder blow came onto my back and I stood up quickly, running to my room and closing the door.

*Smack* another blow. I exclaimed in pain and Mione burst through the door.

"Mal?! Mal?! What's wrong? Tell me." Hermione panicked.

"My back..." Was all I could say and Mione immediately lifted my shirt to check my back.

"What the--" Mione gasped and I exclaimed in pain again as I felt another blow. After a minute I waited and no more blows came, I calmed down and sat on the floor.

"What is it Mione? Is there something on my back?"

"Red marks, red pole-like marks are across it. 4 to be exact, who the hell hit you Mal? There is no one here." The realization dawned on me. No. Impossible.

"Hermione... how much do you know about unbreakable vows?"

"Mal please tell me you didn't..."

"Hermione, how much do you know?"

"It's a promise you can't break. Depending on what the promise was you have certain conditions you have to stick to. What did you do Mal?"

"Funny story..." I leapt into the story of why I got sorted into Slytherin and the talk with Dumbledore as well the vow I made.