Chapter 5: 15th Birthday

15th  B I R T H D A Y

———

Draco's POV

I tried to control my breathing as I went to shower after Quidditch practice. I needed to get this sweat off of me. I need to beat Potter this year, I have to make my father proud. He has to see that his son is not a weak child anymore. As I recalled my father's beatings I remembered the night before September 1st, when she came to get me.

I still have no idea how she knew about him having just hit me a couple minutes earlier but as I was about to slam my fist against a wall, she appeared, with the other Granger but that one doesn't matter. It was her, Katerina's, plan to get me out of there. She refused to tell me how she knew, but one day she will. One day she will tell me why she keeps coming to save me and why I feel this warm feeling whenever she steps into a room. I'm pretty sure she caught me looking at her that morning when she came out of the shower, with that tight purple strappy shirt thing on. I can't deny how much she has grown, and developed, very nicely may I add. She doesn't look like a little kid anymore, and apparently neither do I. I saw her looking me up and down when she arrived in my room. She ran to me and actually hugged me, something I never expected her to do and I had never received a hug so warm, so tight that it actually made me hug her back, and her hair smelled amazing, sweet, the opposite of what she lets people see she is. I craved her touch now, I craved having her arms wrapped around my neck and how she didn't seem disturbed by how cold my body usually was in contrast to her warm one. I had seen her talking to that Diggory boy and couldn't help myself when I intervened, it's not like I'm jealous or anything. I just don't see the need for her to be so close to any other guy, why would they have to be? A couple feet of distance seems good enough for me, hadn't she ever heard of social distancing?

I turned off the shower and wrapped a towel around my waist, needing to leave my shower thoughts behind. I pulled a black shirt over my head and slipped on some sweatpants, not planning to do more this Saturday than relax in my dorm. I sat on my bed, leaning against my headboard and picked up where I left off, reading page 66 of To Kill A Mockingbird. She seemed so excited about this book, I craved to know what the big deal was. It's not a big deal, it doesn't mean anything. I kept trying to lie to myself.

"Happy Birthday!" I heard Potter yell from right outside the common room. Wait... why is Potter close to my common room... this ought to be interesting. I bookmarked the page I was on and got up, ready to have some fun.

"Why didn't you tell us? If it weren't for Hermione we wouldn't have known." Ugh. Weasel is there too, this really will be fun.

"It's your birthday? Why wouldn't you tell me? Happy Birthday!" My blood boiled as I opened the door and saw Diggory, hugging Kat. Bloody Diggory.

"Hate to break up the party, but if you don't belong in Slytherin, you have to leave." I crossed my arms in front of my chest and refused to look at Katerina.

Why is this woman so stubborn? I told her to stay away from bloody Diggory, and yet here she was, hugging him and smiling as if he was the best thing since sliced bread.

"They're not in the common room, they're outside of it. There's no rule against that." Kat retorted and I still refused to look at her. She's probably standing there with her arms crossed in front of her, just like she often does when she's mad.

"Yeah, well they're being loud and disturbing students in there, so they have to leave." I glared at Diggory.

"What the hell crawled up your--" Kat started toward me and stopped when he held her arm. Get the hell away from her. I wanted to scream but contained myself.