» 25 «

"Bloody hell, good thing we didn't go to that thing after all," Wren mumbled, her eyes glued to the daily prophet.

After a whole lot of convincing, I spent my summer with her family. It must've been the one-hundredths time she assured me I wasn't a burden before I agreed to it.

Her family was absolutely lovely. These past few weeks were probably the closest I would ever get to experience what it was like to live in a real family, and I couldn't express how grateful I was for that.

It's something I never thought I'd experience.

Harry offered me to stay with him and the Weasley's as well, but I thought that to be even less appropriate. Ron and I weren't the best of friends, after all. Even though he ended up apologising to me.

"Huh?" I lifted my gaze from the book I was reading and looked at her. She had a concerned expression on her face as she read the article.

She flipped the pages so that I could have a look at what she was talking about. "Terror at the Quidditch World Cup," I read out loud before even realising what the words meant.

I scanned the page, the picture showing a moving skull in the sky. As soon as I realised what I was met with, I ripped the prophet out of her hands, an expression of worry forming on my face.

"Do you think Harry is alright?" I asked her while reading the article.

He told me that he was planning on going with Ron's family and Hermione before the summer and even invited me to go with them. I was never really that big into quidditch, though, so I declined.

"This is Harry Potter we're talking about here, of course, he'll be alright. We would know if he wasn't," She said, an encouraging smile on her lips and I nodded. We would definitely know.

I sighed. "It's him, isn't it? That's the dark mark," I pointed at the picture in the newspaper, my heart beginning to beat faster at all the memories flooding back in.

"Yeah," Wren said, so quietly it was almost a whisper. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down.

What did that mean, then? Was he back? Was the man who killed my parents back?

Good thing we were going back to Hogwarts soon. Harry and I had a lot to discuss.

I only realised my eyes were closed when Wren gently nudged me in the side and I opened them again. "Are you okay?" She asked, her eyes full of compassion.

I just nodded, a half-hearted smile on my face. She shouldn't have to worry about me. Nobody should.

"I can't wait to get back," I said, trying to change the subject to a more positive one. Wren rolled her eyes with a smile.

"I wouldn't mind a few more weeks without Parkinson," She laughed. "Or Crabbe, or Goyle. Especially Malfoy."

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of his name. I haven't thought about the blonde all summer, and I wasn't planning on starting now, either.

He was one of the reasons why I looked forward to the summer as much as I did. Once I completely got my mind off of the subject, I could just start the new year like nothing ever happened.

Ever since that kiss by the dorms, nothing like it ever happened again. Even though we never discussed it, we both made sure not to be around each other when nobody else was.

We moved the tutoring from the potions classroom to the library and started earlier to make sure we weren't the last ones there. I left the common room when he entered, and he did the same.

It's like we were on the same page without ever having talked about it.

We still got on each other's nerves, of course. The only difference was that there were always other people around. Because at this point, not even I could deny the obvious tension in the air whenever we did as much as look at each other from across the room or passed each other in the halls.

Nobody else seemed to notice that, though. Wren and Harry were just happy that I wasn't spending time with him anymore, while Crabbe and Goyle were probably too oblivious to notice anything, at all.

If no one else was noticing it, though, was Malfoy?

It didn't matter. It happened too many times already, anyway. A third time was simply not something I wanted to go through. Even though the experience in itself wasn't necessarily bad.

"You're right," I said, shaking my head at the memory of it. "I almost forgot about the annoying things at Hogwarts." She laughed, nodding in agreement.

"And then they catch up with you as soon as you enter the castle," She said knowingly, a smirk on her lips. "So better think about them before you go and be prepared instead."