First Days and Family Friends

*14 years later*

Vincent Chance's mother dropped him off at his dorm room a week before his first day at college and stayed to help him move his stuff in. When Vincent got accepted into his dream school, it seemed like the best thing that could ever happen. But now, standing beside his boxed up things next to his mother who was going any minute, it seemed more like a nightmare. Vincent had never spent more than a few nights without his mother, being that his father was out of the picture they were very close, almost inseparable, and until faced with the reality of his decision he hadn't realized how much it would affect him. His mother was already streaming tears for almost the entire time he was trying to get things in order. It only got worse as the room came together, especially because that meant they were marching towards her having to leave.

"You're sure I can't just transfer to somewhere in New Hampshire? With you getting a new job so far away.. we picked a college in Erie because we thought I wouldn't need to dorm. Besides, there's lots of colleges in New Hampshire." Vinny smiled with hope.

"Transfer?" His mother chuckled. "No Vincent. My job, us being separate, as hard as it is it's necessary. You've got to take this leap... make this jump. You're becoming an adult... my little man. That comes with change... that comes with nerves, but I trust you to rise above it. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes." Vincent rolled his eyes. "I can call you whenever?"

"Of course." She smiled. "Oh... my baby's all grown up." His mothers tears returned earning the same response from Vincent.

"Mom!" Vincent scolded. "You're making me cry."

"You're right. I've.. I've got to go... you're going to be alright? You'll stay safe? No drugs?"

"Yes mom, I won't do drugs!" Vincent chuckled.

"Okay... it's not... we're not a far drive, so you can come see me if you need to."

"I will." Vincent chuckled. "I promise." Vincent's mom reached up to fix his hair, fussing with it too much for his liking. "Mommmmm." Vincent complained as he pushed his mother's hands off.

"Is it a crime that I want my baby to look good for his new roommate?" She cooed.

"It should be." He said, but still looked in the mirror one last time to fix his collar. His mother's insistence had made him nervous to meet his roommate, which he hadn't considered before.

"You're sure you'll be alright?" His mother asked.

"Mom. I'm a Freshman in college now, I'm not in high school anymore."

"I know. I just worry about you." She said earning an eye role from her eighteen year old. "Vincent, you ask Lucas if you need help."

"But mom-"

"No buts. I know you had a falling out and I've tried to stay out of it, but I need to know there is someone here looking out for you. Besides, it's been a few years. Things might have changed. You should message him and meet up."

Vinny cringed, "He's two years ahead of me." Vincent reminded his mother, "Besides, we haven't spoken in forever... it would be so awkward."

"It never hurts to be kind." His mother nodded to herself, "You know, it breaks my heart to see you both like this. You were inseparable when you were little. I couldn't even get you to sleep in separate beds most of the time."

"Ew mom, don't say that." Vinny scrunched his nose.

"It's true. He doesn't have a lot of family, so go easy on him, alright?" His mother grasped on his shoulders, trying to make her face stern. "Call him, or I will. I want to know what's going on with him. I'll never understand why you teenagers can't seem to sort things out."

"People change." Vincent stated, and it was his mother's turn to role her matching green eyes. It wasn't that Vincent no longer liked Lucas, it was just that all of the sudden Lucas had become incredibly popular. Suddenly everyone liked him, and Vinny didn't think he really fit into that equation. Then Lucas had graduated and gone off to college, and it had just been longer and longer in between them seeing each other, until it had just been too long.

From what Vinny saw, Lucas was super popular in college as well, rising to the status of the school's soccer champion. All throughout their childhood Lucas always made it a point to reach out to Vincent, it seemed only fair that he followed his mother's wishes and reached out. Within time.

"Someone needs to take care of you if I can't be here." His mother's eyes began to run again. "I guess.. I guess I have to go then." She wrapped him in a big hug, before taking a deep breath and walking out the door. "Goodbye."

"Goodbye." Vinny tried to smile, as his mother left the room. He knew she had to get out on the road to make the long drive back, but still he wished she might have been able to stay just a little while longer. Vincent sat unpacking boxes around the room, waiting for his roommate to come back from wherever he was. His room had a light green comforter, and a simple nightstand with a small lamp. The roommate's side, on the other hand was littered with Si-fi references. He had a deep blue comforter printed to look like the galaxy along with various posters for Star Wars and Star Trek.

"Bye Sam." A voice called from the doorway. A boy, just taller than Vincent, walked into the room. He had dark brown hair and thick glasses hiding his blue eyes. He stopped to give Vincent a strange look. "Wait. You're new."

"Y- Yep. I'm Vincent... and you must be Dustin." Vinny said holding out his hand nervously, and internally scolding himself for stuttering.

"Tight." Dustin said sitting on his bed already buried in his phone. Vincent let his hand drop to his side. There goes my dreams of being close to my roommate, he thought to himself.

....

"Vincent!" A voice called, and Vincent immediately knew who it was, the only person who he knew, and was truly excited to see; his best friend Hailey. She insisted they'd just come across the same school by happenstance, but Vincent liked to think there was a large part of her that just wanted them to remain together. He lifted his head enough to show a quick smile, and walked over to where his friend was standing. "How does it feel to be an adult?"

"Sad." Vinny shrugged. "And a little bit lonely."

"Cheer up." Hailey grinned. "I'm here now, and this is going to be a great year!" Hailey squeezed his shoulders tightly.

"I could use a good year." Vinny smiled. Hailey Charles, one of the strongest people he knew, and his favorite person in the whole world. She was a pretty girl with long brown hair and bright blue eyes, wearing sweatpants and an over sized hoodie.

"Don't you always have a good year, nerd?" Hailey teased, and Vinny chuckled.

"I meant like... relationship-wise." He chuckled.

     "You want a relationship?"

     "No!" Vincent scoffed. "I meant I want to have a good year with all of the people I know. I've seen enough of your romantic relationship drama to scare me off at least until I'm twenty." 

"Me? What? No." She laughed along. "I'm going to focus on my studies." Hailey had been Valedictorian of their senior class, despite her crush drama, and was well know as having one of the most competitive GPA's in the state. Vincent was behind Hailey, but not far, and he also excelled academically, it was a big commonality; they both understood the other's priorities. Both being over-achievers they had most of their classes together, and Vincent was beyond excited to have a familiar face around him.

Hailey was a keeper, and she would be the one to look out for him, even if he never became friends with Lucas again like his mother wanted. Either way, he'd be alright.

(A//N) Comment down below your favorite dinner food!