XI

Ryder Jahsai Williams. 24

"Life is parallel to Hell but I must maintain and be prosperous, though we live dangerous." - Nas

Confused, I pulled the phone away from my ear and stared at the screen.

"Who is that?" DJ asked lowly.

I waved him off, tossing the game controller on the couch, I walked down the hallway and in my room, shutting the door. The phone beeped and I knew that she'd hung up. I contemplated on calling her back.

Fuck it.

I brushed my hand over my head as I waited for her to answer.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call you." She spoke softly as soon as the call connected.

Cap.

"Wassup? You alright?" I asked, finding myself genuinely concerned. Which shocked the fuck out of me. But after the conversation we had, I couldn't help but find myself drawn to Karsyn, not sexually but it was like we connected on a mental and emotional level. I'd never been the type to air my business out to just anyone but her aura was unmatched. It seemed almost impossible to feel uncomfortable around her.

She sighed. "I just... I don't know." Her voice shook and I could tell that she was crying.

Before I could respond, I heard her yelling at somebody in the background.

"No Karter, get the fuck away from me! You never try to defend me, you must agree with her! I'm nothing but a fucking disappointment, huh?"

Out of respect, I hung up and a few seconds later, my phone was ringing and she was calling back.

"Are you busy?" She seemed calmer yet her tone was venomous and this shit was actually kind of scary.

I cleared my throat. "Nah."

"Can you meet me somewhere? I'm at Morton's, waiting on my uber."

It was dark outside and I knew how crazy people could get, I offered to pick her up.

"Uh, um, Okay. Thank you."

"It's nothing Karysn, send me ya location." I ended the call and tossed the phone on the bed. I got myself together and on my way out, I was stopped by DJ's nosey ass.

With a bag of chips in his hand, he stood in the kitchen doorway. "And where the fuck are you goin'?" He questioned in a high pitched voice, mocking a female.

This nigga was a real character.

"I gotta go help a friend." I answered, keeping it simple.

He raised a brow. "Friend? We been in this city for damn two months and all you do is sit at home and go to scho— Oh, it's Karsyn, aint it?"

I shrugged. "Maybe."

He nodded his head as if he approved. "Shit, do ya thing."

I started to tell him how it wasn't even like that but I opted out. The shit wasn't none of his business anyways. I left the house and my lack of knowledge about the area turned a twenty minute drive into an almost forty-five minute drive. I rode around looking for Karsyn but she was nowhere to be found.

"I know this girl ain't make me drive all the way over here for nothing." I mumbled, parking directly front of the door and getting out. I went inside of the four star restaurant, going up to the hostess stand.

"I'm sorry sir, but we do require business casual attire." Her eyes traveled from my face, down to my gray NIKE sweatpants and back up to my face. She bit down on her lip. "But for you, I think we can make an exception."