just a bruise

Continuing her class as Alma joined them again, Lauren can't help but look at her to make sure she's okay.

Alma doesn't know what she's feeling right now but she knows that her side is hurting her and it makes her angry to know why and how it happened. So as the bell rings, she takes her stuff and goes to get out of the class but Lauren stops her.

"I have to go. I can't talk, sorry." She ignores her, walking to the door but Lauren is quick to close it, standing in front of her.

Alma stops as she collides with her, and sighs.

"What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm just anxious, shit happens, now let me go." She tries to open the door but Lauren gently grabs her wrist.

"You can talk to me."

"I don't want to."

"Why not?"

"You're my teacher." Alma says as if it's obvious.

"Okay. Was I your teacher when you were screaming my name about a night ago?"

Alma gives in, closing her eyes.

"I'm going to be late and Alisha-"

"Who cares about Alisha?"

"Uh, me?"

"You barely know her. Go sit down and talk to me."

"I don't want to, Lauren. I'll call you tonight, I promise."

"Joining Alisha is more important than talking to me?" Lauren asks a little bit quieter.

"Kind of."

Lauren's shoulders drop as the fear build up in her chest and stomach.

"Okay." She whispers, opening the door to let Alma go.

As she closes the door, Lauren frowns.

She could totally be fucking her. I mean, she's totally pretty and young and they like each other. She doesn't care about me anymore. Will she brag to her about fucking me?

Lauren closes her eyes and puts her hands on her head, part of her knowing that this is ridiculous, but a bigger part of her knowing that she could be right.

She was right the last time she had doubts.

Alma runs to her class, making it just in time to sit next to Alisha.

"Hey, you alright?" Alisha asks, and Alma nods with a smile.

"I'm good, don't worry."

It had been a long time since Alma last felt anxious. So long that she thought her anxiety was gone, but apparently it isn't gone at all.

She spends her whole class zoning out, thinking about how her side is hurting her and how bad she wants to go home. Or maybe she just needs a hug and she'll be fine.

She doesn't really know what would make her feel better right now but she knows for a fact that her Spanish teacher won't, so she'll just skip her next class since Alisha isn't in it.

The bell rings and Alisha leaves Alma wandering in the hallways, her side hurting with every step she takes which is frustrating her a lot and making her angry.

She walks towards the end of the hallway and sees that the door is open, meaning there's a chance that she isn't home yet, so she walks a little faster and sees her sitting at her desk, reading some papers.

She knocks. Lauren looks at her, and looks back down with a frown.

"Can I stay with you?"

"You shouldn't be here. You have Spanish."

"I'm skipping."

"Wow, you agreed on your own to leave Alisha alone? First time in history."

Alma frowns.

"Are you mad?" She asks, and Lauren glares at her.

"Why would I be mad?"

"I don't know, you tell me. Acting all weird and cold. You wanted me to stay and talk, that's what I'm doing."

"No, I wanted you to stay and talk to me about one hour ago. You decided that Alisha would die if you weren't with her. You lost your chance, ain't my problem." Lauren says, dropping her pen as she looks into Alma's eyes.

"Okay if you're just going to act mad and not tell me what's wrong then I'm just going to go home. Have a nice day." Alma concludes, standing up and walking to the door.

Lauren realises, and she starts panicking.

"No, wait."

Alma turns around.

"I'm sorry. Don't go. I'm just sad you didn't stay and talk to me. Do you wanna talk to me?"

"No, I don't really have anything to say. It just... Happens sometimes. Rarely, but it does."

"Okay. Is there something I can do for you?" Lauren asks, sitting on her desk as Alma walks to her.

"Not really, I'm fine now." She lies. "Can I have a hug, though?"

Lauren opens her arms wide and Alma hugs her, letting out an accidental groan when she hits her a little too hard and hurt her side.

"Wow, slow down there. You good?" Lauren says, and Alma nods.

"I'm good I just um... I hurt myself at practice."

"Oh really. How?"

"I just fell. I'm a little clumsy."

"Is it bad? Can I see?"

"No, there's nothing. Don't worry." Alma smiles, pushing herself away from Lauren in case she tries to see.

"Let me see." Lauren takes Alma's hand, and Alma shakes her head.

"No, don't worry, I'm good."

"Alma." Lauren squints and Alma chuckles.

"Really, there's nothing. It's probably just a bruise."

"If you say so." Lauren says, still supsicious. "Are you coming over tonight?"

"I don't know, I might hang out with Alisha. My mom likes her."

"Oh. Of course. Well... You'll tell me."

"I will. I'm gonna go and save Alisha and I a spot for lunch. Are you going home right now?"

"No, I have things to do. And I'm meeting someone's parents."

"Okay. Do you know anything about the parents and teachers conference? When is it going to be?" Alma asks, and Lauren blows her cheeks as she thinks, making Alma smile because the brunette's so freaking adorable.

"I have no idea, I haven't heard about it but I will have to tell you guys when I'm told. Because I'm your homeroom teacher so... I don't know, I'll tell you. Why do you wanna know?"

"No reason, just wondering. Alright I'll go."

Alma takes a step forward, hugging Lauren, and kisses her gently before she turns around and walks to the door.

Lauren watches her leave, still doubting herself.