Chapter 25 - Who Are You Really Mad At?

Warning! Spicy chapter. <3

---

Darren tried to ignore the looks that Jasper started casting his way. He instead focused on his phone, though it couldn't distract him from the Alpha's constant tugging on their mate bond.

It started moments after Darren stormed out of the kitchen, and he felt himself growing more and more irritated the longer it went on. At one point he shot up from the couch, startling the Alpha, and made his way to the garden just so he could be alone.

The scent of lilacs and petunias seemed to help calm his nerves, but it just wasn't enough as the Collar failed to resist the more powerful mental pulls.

Just as he thought he would lose his mind, Darren spotted something off in the woods.

It was a tall, lithe figure with some sort of cloth draped around its' shoulders. From where he was sitting, it looked like a woman.

Curiosity and the need to distract himself had the rogue following the spirit. She didn't look very old, and there was no one around for her to haunt, which begged the question of what she was even doing there in the first place.

With one last cautious glance back at the house, Darren crossed the backyard border and ran out of sight, knowing he'd get in trouble for this.

Carefully he stepped over logs and branches, avoiding pot holes and poison ivy as he did his best to catch up, but soon he lost sight of the apparition and he kicked the ground in frustration.

Turning so he could head back, he was shocked to find the woman just inches from his face. A short yelp escaped him and Darren fell backwards, then scooted away as the spirit hovered even closer.

She was very attractive for a ghost. Her hair was brushed back and cascading over her shoulders and she wore a slim dress that faded into a pool at her feet.

The spirit kneeled down and reached out, touching Darren's cheek. A cold sensation instantly overcame the rogue and his vision went dark. The next thing he knew, he was hovering above the ground in a completely different section of the woods. 

Darren tried to move, but his legs were suspended too high up to be of any use. Looking around for something to grab onto, he realized it was much darker now and he could just barely distinguish a figure running through the trees up ahead. 

Whoever it was, they seemed to be moving urgently, glancing backwards as though they were being followed. They'd duck behind each tree and bush they passed, and just as they came within sight, he recognized the short purple hair that stood out in the darkness.

His aunt stared back once more, hesitating, then turned and ran right through Darren.

The world then shattered and he found himself laying on the forest floor, having returned to the Alpha's house. The specter was now gone, leaving Darren full of questions.

Did that ghost just share some kind of vision with him?

Darren quickly got to his feet and brushed himself off as he mulled over what he saw.

Firstly, what was his aunt doing in the woods? Secondly, why did the ghost decide to share that sort of vision with him? Usually they needed some kind of personal connection before approaching him.

From what he saw, it didn't look so much like Sophie was running from someone as she was hiding. There was no panic in her face, just paranoia.

Shaking his head, Darren decided he was reading too much into it. It was Sophie after all. There's no way she'd be doing something that he'd need to be suspicious about. If anything, she was most likely running around as part of her own investigation method and he could just ask her about it later.