33

☀︎

Slipping into the tight dress, I appreciate how the black color compliments my tan skin. My hair is straightened for once and the makeup finishes this look completely. Feeling good about how it turned out, I leave the room I've stayed in for two days now and walk downstairs. Voices surprise me and I turn the corner, stopping in my black heels I spot Xavier standing in the living room. 

His dark eyes instantly cut to me and I take a deep breath, trying to control the hot fire in my body when he scans my frame. I haven't seen him during these days, he had to go out of town and I truly didn't think he would be back here already. My skin tingles under his attention and I desperately try to ignore how he makes me feel. 

Licking my lips he focuses on that, a tightening in my gut provokes a strangled breath to leave my helpless mouth. The intensity of his stare and how my body reacts to him, everything makes it harder for me to keep up this front. He can't know what I know though. 

"Eloisa," Someone suddenly says next to me and I spot a smiling Marc. He looks good compared to the last time I saw him, no cuts or traces of a beating on his face. "Thank you for helping me out in the warehouse that day. It's nice to see you again."

"Yeah," I nod my head at him. "Don't worry about it, Marc. Xavier did most of it anyway, I simply used my gender as a tactic. Those pigs have a tendency to underestimate women."

He laughs at me and his hand lingers on my shoulder before removing itself, Xavier focuses on the action before his eyes meet mine again. "You're so right and it was genius," Marc says through his laughter. 

"You were out cold though?" I question him, not quite grasping where he knows this from. 

"Xavier told me what happened," He explains and I look at the man himself. Xavier stands to the side, his eyes are still too focused on me. It makes me uncomfortable because my body reacts like this to him, it's painful and fucking annoying. "He was quite proud of you, if I must say."

"You mustn't say actually," Xavier suddenly speaks, his smoky voice carries through the room and I become too aware of the tingles again. Looking into his dark eyes, he scans my frame and I know he spots how tight the dress is against my curves, "Were you going somewhere, Eloisa?"

My name rolls off his Italian tongue so easily, "I'm going to a club tonight."

I have to go see Rocco, he has some new information and will update me on the situation with Mike. It was a great opportunity considering how Xavier and Marc were out of town, which is why it sort of frustrates me how quickly they got back. None of them can know how well I know him, it will only endanger the man and that is something I refuse to do. 

"That sounds fun!" Marc exclaims. "We'll come, too."

"No-"

He cuts me off, "Silly girl, of course we will. Do you even know how much boredom Xavier and I had to live through these days? We will join you tonight."

"I don't want you to come," I state indifferently. 

Marc seems shocked at my honest tone, "Don't be rude. You're still allowed to get some dick tonight, we won't be cockblockers. Right, Xavier?"

Xavier glares at Marc, "Don't promise shit on my fucking account."

Marc shrugs and turns to me, "Fine, Grumpy over there might block you, but I won't. Can we come?"

"No," I say and cross my arms across my chest. 

"Great! Wait down here, I'll slip into a black pair of pants."

The annoyance slips through my facade and I leave the room, quickly grabbing a leather jacket from my room I tighten the holster around my thigh and walk to the front door. Slipping out of the house without making a sound, I hurry down the porch and have to walk down the long ass driveway without them coming after me. 

"Eloisa!" Marc yells from the porch and he comes running after me, grabbing my arm he pulls me with him to the car in the garage. The tight and quite painful grip on my wrist drives me absolutely mad, sizzling anger rushes through my veins in seconds. 

I don't appreciate being manhandled. 

Disgusting memories from my early days in this game make me freeze up, the fear has me acting on impulse. I push his body roughly up against the first vehicle I see in the garage, his grip leaves my arm instantly and I give him the deadliest glare. My hand envelopes his throat tightly and he claws at my touch. 

"It was a joke, calm down!" His choked voice desperately tries to convey. 

Fiery hands on my upper arms pull me away from Marc, who is now clutching at his neck trying to get some oxygen into his veins. His shocked eyes cut to mine, "Boss, she fucking tried to kill me!"

I haven't looked at Xavier standing behind me, his hands are still touching me and that is enough to ground me down slightly. Acting on impulse is something I struggle with, but that still doesn't make it okay for him to grab me like that. Not even in a playful manner. 

"I told you not to challenge her. Don't touch a woman if she doesn't want to be touched, especially not one with a temper like Eloisa."

"I wasn't going to kill you," My voice says to him and I scoff. "Teaching you a lesson though, that's probably more like it."

"You're insane," He laughs at me, the situation hitting him truly. "I get it, okay? I won't grab you like that again, it's disrespectful. But you tried to kill me and can officially make it up to me by inviting us tonight, it's only a party and you can still go fuck some random dude in the bathrooms."

"Fine," I give in and sit down in the passenger seat of the car when Xavier opens it for me, not really understanding why I allowed them to come. Tonight isn't for pleasure, this is for my business and the men I have under me. I need to know how everything is and Rocco knows this.  

"Xavier, she tried to kill me and stole my shotgun!" He whines again and Xavier slaps his head playfully, the action humors me and I try not to smile at the sight. 

"You need to grow up, Marc. I don't fucking know why I give you so much authority in my mafia," The humor is there on Xavier's voice, it sounds so foreign on him, but I actually find myself enjoying the playful side of him.