Chap 14

"Bye kids.” Mum called, exiting the door. 

“Don’t do anything stupid.'' Dad gave a stern look to the twins.

I entered my room as I left it. I laid on the bed with a heavy thud, continuing the episode when I smelt it.

Something's burning.

I hopped out swiftly, making my way to the kitchen. 

"Where is the idiot?" I exclaimed, thumping down the stairs.

"Right here." Aaron responded, putting up a victory sign.

"Surprisingly enough, I'm not talking about you." Crossing my arms, I examined the kitchen.

"What?" Aiden stated, turning slightly from the stove.

"What are you doing?" 

"Making ramyeon." He shrugged.

"You remember what mum said last time?" I questioned, observing the pot. "She's going to put you up for adoption if you blow up the house."

A few minutes in, my phone rang. I groaned, picking it up from my bedside table. Without looking at the caller ID, I responded.

"Yes?"

"We're waiting outside."

Quizzed, I looked at my phone screen. Of course, it would be InHa.

"Why?" I questioned but she had already ended the call.

~

I opened the door to notice everyone standing there. As I eyed them suspiciously, Chris spoke.

"We're going on a search."

"What?" I inquired.

"We're going to Taehyun's house." InHa clapped her hands.

"But we don't know where he lives." I urged.

"Let's just say I have my ways." SaNa winked.

"Now, let's go." InHa exclaimed.

"Hold up." Without waiting for their reply, I ran inside. I grabbed my bag, put all the necessities in and gave a speech to the twins about not burning the house down.

~

After what seemed like an hour, we stood outside the address SaNa had. She didn't inform me how she got it but I had a feeling everyone else knew. 

The house was a double story with two windows upfront. The windows were large to let in maximum light but had been yellowed as time passed. The brown paint on the door was starting to chip off but the weather was to be held responsible. An Immense bulky tree stood to its right. Its branches protruded like vines up towards the sky and brushed the nearby house like a paintbrush. The green had faded away, nothing to be seen except a big old tree. 

We contemplated for a few moments before InHo stepped up and knocked on the door. A disturbing tingling sensation rattled my nerves as we waited. The door opened- revealing a very untidy Taehyun.

"What are you doing here?" He questioned, making us exchange looks of disbelief.

"Why else?" InHa mumbled, eyes fixed at her feet. "We were worried about you."

That sentence seemed to strike him as he stared at us for a second before opening the door wide, motioning for us to come in.

The interior was no different, looking like a box for people to live in rather than a home. The floor looked like it hadn't been swept for ages. A faint yet familiar odor lingered in the air -much of a disinfectant..

For a neat guy like Taehyun, his house surely was the total opposite.

He awkwardly cleared his throat, diverting our attention. In one swift motion, he swept the sofa clean. We all sat down and he opened his mouth. 

"I'm sorry." 

We didn't dare speak and he took that as his chance to continue. 

"I'm sorry I've been ignoring you guys. I know you care about me but I, I just-"

He took a sharp breath and rubbed his eyes. Without the glasses, the dark circles under his eyes appeared more prominent. 

"I don't live with my parents." 

That sentence caught me off guard. I blurted.

"Do you live alone?"

"No, with my grandmother." He answered. "My parents have been living in the States since I was six. My grandmother practically raised me and now she's sick."

That explained why he wanted to go home all the time. Why he didn't come on the trip. Why he came looking like a zombie that day. 

"Why didn't you tell us?" SaNa politely questioned. It was the first time I heard her speak so softly but that wasn't the matter of concern at hands.

"I didn't want anyone to pity me. I am nursing her because she did the same for me. It's the least I can do to return the favour." 

We all left our spots and embraced him in a hug.

"We most certainly do not pity you." InHa stated.

"Neither do we hate you." SaNa said.

"We understand your situation." Chris spoke.

"We want to help too." InHo added.

"Because what else are friends for." I finished.

"Thanks guys." Taehyun stated, breaking the hug. "Really."

"No problem." InHa replied, wiping a stray tear.

"Yes, yes. This is all very…...touching." SaNa said, reaching out for her bag and taking out a pack of her favourite strawberry milk.

~

We spent the rest of the day helping him clean the house. We knew the room his grandma was resting in so tried to keep the sounds to a minimum. Knowing me, I peeked in the room. In the middle of the room, laid a bed with her grandma resting peacefully on top. The room was unbelievably clean, unlike the rest of the house. It smelt cozy, reminding me of my mum's bone-crushing hugs. 

My heart filled with concern for Taehyun. Nobody knew the perfect boy had such a deprived life. He never experienced all those things I take for granted. That was when I realised how much of a blessing family really is.

We all sat down after our major cleaning session, each with a bowl of ramyeon in hand.

“Thank you so much you all.” Taehyun said for what seemed to be the 100th time. One murderous look from SaNa was enough to not let him open his mouth again. 

That moment felt like I was deceiving them. Taehyun explained his life story, telling them about SooMin was the least I could do. I opened my mouth but InHa beat me to it.

“You know, being together doesn't mean being happy.” She said, stirring her bowl mindlessly.

“Why?” SaNa queried.

“There were times each of us felt alone even when we were together.” 

A silence etched between us as we processed her words. For a carefree girl like InHa, I didn't expect such words. But then again, we live in a judgemental society.

It was quite late at night when we left his house, each of us with tired bodies but a peaceful heart. 

One thing was sure, I'm gonna tell them.

______________________________

Late update but I had a pretty rough time this past week. Managing everything is way harder than I imagined it to be but, it's life.

These last lines (InHa's) just came naturally. I know how that feels. Lastly, the next chapter is going to be the last one.

Any thoughts?