66 - Uncle Lupin

Before long you and Fred had packed your bags and were now arriving at Lupins house. He lived in Yorkshire in a small cottage. It wasn't the fanciest of places due to Lupin not being able to afford much. The Ministry had made a law where it was acceptable to not give someone a job all because they're a werewolf, hence why Lupin wasn't able to take care of you when Sirius was taken to Azkaban. His cottage was in the middle of nowhere, perfect for him because when he shifted he never had to worry about anyone nearby which he could harm. 

Since Sirius had passed he and Tonks had moved in together and the two of them had both fallen for each other. It made you beyond happy knowing your uncle had someone as incredible as Tonks in his life, he deserved it and you hoped she'd be the one to help him through it. Unlike the weather at Hogwarts, it was pouring with rain in the Yorkshire countryside. 

You and Fred ran towards the door and began to knock, hoping the two were in otherwise you both would look rather stupid standing in the rain knocking on an empty cottage. You two didn't have to wait long for Tonks to open the door, her face was a picture. It was a mixture of shock yet happiness. She grabbed your shoulders and pulled you into a hug within seconds of meeting your gaze at the door. 

"He's missed you." She whispered, pulling back. "You're wet through!" 

"Not sure if you've guessed Tonks but it is pouring out there." Fred joked, still standing in the doorway. 

"Come in you!" She now grabbed Fred and pulled him inside and shut the door. "Molly'll kill me if you catch a chill!" She pulled Fred into a hug before leading you into the house. "He's in there." She pointed to a doorway which leads to the front room. The door was ajar and you were able to see him. Your uncle looked as if he hadn't slept for weeks, he was slumped back into a chair watching the fire in front of him die out. Lupin was the type of man who always tried to look at the brighter things in life despite his condition which was something you admired greatly. 

"Uncle Lupin?" You called out softly. The moment those words left your lips he turned his head to the side to see you and Fred standing at the entrance of the room. Much like Tonks had, Lupin leapt up and jogged over to you for a hug. Remus pulled you into his chest and wrapped his arms around you, keeping you close to him. 

"I'm sorry I never came to see you after Sirius died ... I -" Remus started to choke on his own words. "I just ... just -" 

"Don't be sorry." You tried to soothe him. "I should have come earlier, we both just needed time." Lupin nodded, he knew you were so he pulled back to look down at you. 

"You may have not been blood-related but you sure do remind me of him." He now cracked a small smile before turning his attention to Fred. "Ah! Fred! How are you?" He now pulled Fred into a quick hug, patting his back before pulling away. 

"Perhaps it's best if we leave them be." Tonks looked at Fred as she spoke, indicating that it was time to leave you and Lupin alone to talk. 

"I'll be in the room next door if you need me," Fred whispered to you as he left, sending you a reassuring smile as he and Tonks left the room. When the two had shut the door and were well out of the way Lupin instructed you to sit. 

"You must be freezing." He pulled out his wand and made the fire grow larger and brighter to keep you warm. Lupin then reached into his pocket and pulled out a square of chocolate. "Here, you'll feel better." 

"Thank you." Smiling, you eagerly took the chocolate from his hand and began to eat. There was a comfortable silence as you ate. It was weird to see your uncle looking like this. He was always up on his feet and smiling brightly, even when he had gone through a rough night of shifting. "How are you uncle?"