35

☀︎

The darkness of the club offers us some privacy, even though I can feel the burning gaze of the mafia boss. Rocco acts so naturally and I try not to cringe at our proximity, "So Martinelli, will you tell me what the actual hell happened to you? I couldn't get in contact, and then you show up here with Xavier Romano of all people."

"After our last meeting, I walked home and a group of guys attacked me in my own home. I was on the phone with Xavier already and he came to help me-"

"He knows where you live?" Rocco speaks. 

"Don't fucking cut me off, maiale," (pig) I tell him sternly. "I had to tell him in order to survive. They outnumbered me and came up from behind, I managed to kill some of them, but two got to me before that. They were about to assault me and Xavier ended it. He offered a place to stay and I accepted, hence you not being able to contact me. Now, I wanted to go here and tell you this story, but these fuckers got to me and forced themselves along for the journey."

"This is insane, Martinelli. You need to watch out, he isn't as innocent as you might think," This almost makes me laugh. 

"I would never speak of Xavier and innocent in the same sentence, never. He is dangerous, lethal, ruthless, cold, calculative. One of his men broke Omertá and told me something; apparently Xavier knows that his father is the one searching for me. He also knows where his father is and I want to know what's going on. One second he acts fine with everything and the next I doubt his intentions. He is the only one I can't read," My frustration shines through and I instantly hide my emotions again, not wanting to seem weak. 

"I can try to figure things out for you, but it's hard to investigate him, Eloisa. If I as much as search his name in our database, it will alarm the mafia and they'll come for me. They aren't playing around and I fear this is out of my hands," There is a tremble in his voice, something I rarely hear on him. 

"You shouldn't be dragged into this mess, Rocco. I already have you on Mike and his situation, so allow me to figure this out for myself. In the meantime, you can tell me how Mike is doing after his first murder."

Rocco frowns at me in confusion, "What do you mean?"

The pure confusion on his expression has me quite shocked, he clearly doesn't know what I'm talking about. Mike hasn't tried to call him, he lied to me about having his first kill. That thought has my mind running wild with possibilities, one thing shines through more than anything else though, "He's a fucking snitch, isn't he?"

"He hasn't called me, Martinelli. There is something he's hiding from you, he probably heard the amount of money that's offered in exchange for you. When is the last transfer he gave you for drug money?" The question sets things into perspective and I scoff. Realisation hits me like a truck and the thirst for blood runs mercilessly through my veins, seemingly not wanting to stop. 

"He's going behind my back, the fucker is officially trying to lure me out of my hiding in order to get some cash. Stupid fucking stronzo, does he wish to lose his pathetic and dumb head?" My harsh voice cuts through the air and I despise this situation, this is what humanity gets me. A knife in the back and yet another problem on my hands.  

I shouldn't have allowed him to live that day, now I'm even questioning if he truly was assaulted or if he simply kept the drug money to himself. 

"Let me call the other club owners in the area, they won't be suspicious and it will give me a reason to catch up with them. I'll locate him for you, Martinelli. It wouldn't surprise me if he still sells your drugs and keeps the money to himself, the idiot is an idiot for a reason after all."

"Text me the details, I'll try to lose the mobsters. Leave. Now," I demand and he leaves the floor with a nod. My fight instinct kicks in, the anger rages through my veins and I puff out a harsh breath. 

Walking out of the club, I stride down the street and hide in a deserted alleyway. This is probably the best escape until Rocco texts me. Xavier and Marc can't know of my business outside the plot for revenge, they will question me and how capable I truly am in this game. My phone beeps and I read the text. 

'The man of the hour just stepped outside Rixta, he has a girl on his arm and a bag of drugs on his shoulder. Go there, now.'

Rixta is the club right next to The Dungeon and I smirk at the text, approaching the red building I spot Mike pressing a girl against the wall, kissing her and gripping her wrists tightly. My hand instantly grabs the top of his bag with my drugs and I pull him off her roughly. 

He complains annoyingly while I tug him into the dark and deserted alley between the two competing clubs. Roughly throwing him onto the ground he fumbles with his bag, probably trying to grab his gun that I fucking gave him.  

Kicking the bag away, his eyes fall onto my heels in front of his pathetically kneeling form. He scans up my body and when he recognises me, Mike has the fucking audacity to smile in my direction. 

"Fancy seeing you here, Miss Martinelli. Haven't seen you around for quite some time by now," His slimy voice even has a newfound edge, something doesn't sit right with me. This boy clearly thinks he's too smart for his own good. 

He is about to stand up and my heels reciprocate by kicking him in the gut, he falls onto the ground and grips his stomach tightly. A cough escapes his pained lips and he stares at me in confusion and shock, "What are you doing? We're a team here!"

Kneeling down to him, I grip his chin between my nails and pierce into his skin, drawing blood and a wince from him. "I thought we were on the same side here, turns out I shouldn't trust shit that comes from your bocca debole." (Weak mouth). 

My nails dig even further into his skin, and his hand claws at mine. Pulling my hand into the air, I slap him across the cheek and he flings onto the ground again. The sound reverberates through the empty alley, making me smirk at the sight of him scared. 

"I never meant for any of this to happen, Miss Martinelli! They found out I was working with you and the six of them forced me to call you that day, I swear it wasn't in my hands! They forced me because they want you dead!" His desperate voice has me slightly humored, especially with how he just admitted to trying to lure me out. 

This boy thinks he has a chance.