Episode 29: (Sophie's POV)

Before:

"Yes, I'm sure." Keefe tried to keep the bite from his tone, but from the glare Biana was burning into his forehead, he wasn't sure that he'd succeeded. "I guess I have to tell you, don't I."

It wasn't a question. He had danced around the subject enough. He would have to tell them soon enough anyway.

"Fine." Keefe hesitated for a long second... two... and then let it out in one big breath. Maybe if he said it quietly and quickly enough, they wouldn't hear. "My parents are applying for a match-fail."

The words didn't register at first.

"W-what?" Sophie breathed.

"They're splitting up," Keefe mumbled, a little louder than the first time. "They had a big fight, and my mom said that maybe it would be better if he left forever and then he tried to leave, and she grabbed his arm-" He stopped.

Maybe he noticed the look on Sophie's face.

Maybe he felt her emotion changing from annoyance to... she wasn't sure what she was feeling. All she knew was that-

"Keefe, I am so, so, sor-"

"Whatever," Keefe cut her off, staring at his feet. "I know."

"But I am, Keefe!" Sophie insisted, fighting down the spark of anger that appeared when he interrupted. He had every right, now that his life was being destroyed. "I am really, really sorry!"

"I don't need your pity," Keefe finally raised his head, and the look on his face broke Sophie's heart.

If he had been angry, or sad, or even guilty in some way, she could have dealt with it. But the resignation on Keefe's face, as though he was used to disappointment and hadn't really expected anything else, the shadows that coated his eyes and his mouth...

"This isn't pity," Sophie said firmly.

And she meant it.

She wasn't feeling pity, she was feeling sympathy, which she considered to be different, even if Keefe didn't. But she wasn't about to tell him that.

"Am I not allowed to say I'm sorry?" Sophie's arms, which had dropped to her sides, braced on her hips again. "Just because I say sorry doesn't mean I pity you. It means that this sucks. It really does. This sucks, and we are going to get you through this, but first, you have to clean up and answer some of my questions."

Keefe closed his eyes, this time keeping them shut. He looked almost as though he was in pain, his forehead creased and his nose scrunched up in a way that... almost looked cute.

Sophie shoved the thought from her mind with the force of a freight train. "Okay?"

"Fine," Keefe muttered, opening his eyes.

"Good. Now, Biana and I are going to leave for Havenfield, and you are coming with us. Get all of your stuff." Sophie tapped her foot.

Keefe blinked. "But- your parents-"

"They aren't there. They had to go do something or... something, I'm not really sure," Sophie lied. A new manticore had come in the day before. They would probably be busy with that, and not notice Keefe sneaking upstairs to shower and change. But she didn't need to tell him that there was the slightest possibility Grady could see him. "So you're safe. Come on, get your stuff."

Keefe sighed, his shoulders slumping even more. He deflated a bit, trudging around the clearing to pick up the drawing materials littered around the grass.