thirteen

__________

His morning voice was hot

__________

Kitioma Hadlee

                    My grades have started to slip, my work ethic going down to lows they have never been before. Each night, I usually stay up until around five or six in the morning in the Astronomy Tower, gazing over the railing, wondering if I had died when I had fallen if things would be easier.

I haven't seen Tom, or many of my friends for that matter.

If I even have friends.

Tom left bruises on me, yes, but bruises fade. The bruises that don't fade are the mental ones.

I can still feel his hand wrapped around my throat from the night in the library.

I can still feel the curse he shot when we were both in the astronomy tower.

Was he even drunk that night?

The kisses he gave still burn my neck as I take my hand up and trace it.

What am I going to do, with Tom taking over Hogwarts?

He's going to kill me soon, I know it. I can feel it. Right now, he's playing with my emotions, toying with me. Well, he didn't seem like he was toying with me when he tried to curse me in the astronomy tower...but in the classroom after the fight, he admitted his plans.

Or did he admit only what he wants me to know?

Maybe he already has me hooked, my death already planned. Someone working with Tom could come out of nowhere and shove me down this tower, and I could do nothing about it.

I laugh to myself. At this point, Death is my best friend. I've knocked on her door many times, and she has denied each sound of my knuckles against wood, calling her attention. Why? Why am I unable to die? Is it not my time?

A sigh escapes my lips and I lean backwards onto my back, stretching my  arms out on either side of me.

Sometimes, I feel like the universe is against me.

It probably is, I've been sobbing to much recently, maybe it's the universe telling me to shut the hell up and ago on with life.

I should listen to the universe.

I need to stop being an idiot.

I sigh again.

How do I escape Tom without putting my life in danger? Or at least escape Tom without losing multiple limbs and getting slammed up against a wall? I know the people who killed my parents are still looking for me to end the Gryffindor bloodline, or steal my blood to use its power for bad things.

I never really understood why my parents made me hide until they told me the power of my blood. It was said that sacrificing and using the blood of a descendant of Godric Gryffindor could bring ultimate power onto the person. The legend was, that Godric Gryffindor used to be best friends with Salazar Slytherin, until one day, a wrench was thrown in their gears. They fought all the time after that, and Gideon rose to power against his friend. Why did they fight? Well Salazar fell in love with Godric's wife, Alana.

In the battle between the two friends, Slytherin cursed Gryffindor with his dying breath. Cliche, but he yelled something along the lines of, "I once called you a friend, but, you have stolen everything from me, including love. Your descendants will hold great power, yes, but the blood of your granddaughters and grandsons will hold great sacrifice. With that blood, anyone can become as powerful as you, and one day, my descendant will kill your bloodline using the own blood in their veins."

My grandparents survived. My parents...well, they died, but they died safe, where no one could take their blood. They were afraid I was going to be the one who was the end of the bloodline, and with that, I had to go into hiding.

Once my grandmother married, her name changed from Gryffindor to Hadlee, but the legend never died. And now I am in fear for my life, but so far, I have been acting very careless. I mean, it's not my fault a certain someone has anger issues and another certain someone was being a bad word I should stop saying so I...punched her. Many times.

I need to stop being stupid and use my damn mind to think of a solution so I don't die.

It's like I had been living in a trance. My head snaps up, my arms that had grown numb from time tingling.

How could I have been such an idiot?! They told me to lay low, and now I've got a murderer on my trail! How have I not realised that quicker?

I frown.

Tom can get into my thoughts just like everyone else, can't he? Has he been manipulating me, twisting my thoughts, muddling my mind to where I believe things that shouldn't be believed.

So what can I do? I can't exactly run away from Hogwarts, my home in America was destroyed during the night my parents sacrificed their lives, and the thought of spending another year at the American Wizarding Boarding School makes me want to burn down a house. I'll be eighteen on September 1st, and it's currently February 16th, so when I am finally of age, in American laws, I'll be able to get an apartment. Then I'll go to Wizarding colleges to learn how to be in the Magical Congress of America.

Simple.

But who says I'm not going to die before term ends in June?

Who says I'll last until my eighteenth birthday?

I groan, laying back down on my now-aching back. What the hell am I supposed to do? How do I beat Tom at his own game.

Slip a love potion in his food?

Poison him?

Slap him upside the head?

I snicker at that. If I slapped him, I would probably die. No, I would die. Or maybe I wouldn't, because life is so keen on keeping my stupid ass alive. But that doesn't mean I should act rash, I need to plan out this carefully.

How do I trick Tom Riddle into believe that he has me, but in reality, I'm planning an escape?

Kiss him?

Is that how we're going about things now, us kissing each other to shut each other us, him pressing his lips to my neck, something only Sam has done?

What the actual fuck is wrong with him?

Saying I'm obsessed...the audacity.

I mean...he's not wrong, this boy is taking up my thoughts more than he should.

So what should I do? Act like I really am completely obsessed? Let him think he's won?

Seduce him? Is that what I've come to, seducing the boy who might as well be my sworn enemy, the one who killed my ex-boyfriend?

He killed Sam...

Maybe he is protecting me, Sam did curse me...but it might have been something I did.

Maybe I do need him to survive, maybe right now he's giving me some sort of dangerous protection.

The question is, do I really want that? Do I really trust that?

Is he protecting me, or is he setting me up for failure?

__________