Chapter 1

MADISON POV

School rolled around pretty quickly after summer break. What was really 3 months felt like 3 years in the Gilbert household. Today was the last thing that any of them needed.

The first day of school.

All 3 Gilbert siblings backs to school after their parent's car drove off of a bridge and they drowned.

Madison hasn't even managed to get out of bed, and she was always the first one up on this day.

"Maddy, are you up?" Her sister knocked at her door. The child stayed curled up in her bed just staring out of her window. Elena opened the door with a guilted look on her face. "C'mon, please," she walked over to the bed.

Madison continued to ignore her.

"It's just a few hours. It'll be over before you know it." It made no difference. She did not want to go to school just for all of the kids to laugh at her for having no parents. "Tyler is going to be here soon so you have to get up, eventually."

Madison sighed and rolled on her back so she could see her sister. "Is Jeremy up?"

Elena nodded, brushing her sisters hair back. "Okay," Elena leaned back as Madison sat up finally.

"Good. Hurry, Jenna is attempting at breakfast," Elena smiled at her kid sister before she left her room.

Madison looked back at her window to see a crow sitting. "Morning, little bird," she whispered.

She pulled herself out of bed and got dressed.

She ran downstairs hearing her family's voices.
"Toast I can make toast." Her Aunt Jenna ran around the kitchen. "It's all about coffee Aunt Jenna," Elena moved past her.

She sat on the island and looked at her big brother with a smile. Jeremy rolled his eyes and grabbed a cup and sat it in front of her, filling it with chocolate milk from the fridge.

"Thanks, Jer-bear."

"Shut up," he smacked her head, lightly,

She laughed and drunk her milk. "Am I missing anything?" Jenna looked around. Madison sat her cup down, "don't you have a meeting or something?"

Jenna looked at the youngest with a grateful smile. "Yup, at...now. Crap," Jenna looked for her purse.

Madison laughed while Elena turned from the kitchen. "Go, we'll be fine."

Elena slid a burnt piece of toast towards Madison. She crunched up her face and took her plate over to the trash dumping it, putting the plate back on the counter.

A beep came from outside. Jenna who was at the open door looked at Madison. "Tyler's here."

She smiled, "bye!"

"You didn't even eat!" Elena called.

Madison grabbed her backpack and ran out. She got to Tyler's car and got in. A paper back from the donut shop was placed in her lap.

"Chocolate?" She dug into the bag.

Tyler and his little brother nodded, "there's no other option."

Madison smiled while she stuffed her mouth with donut holes.