Smoke

A/n: Hey so if you couldn't tell from the last chapter this is gonna be a completely different beast.- Vamp

(Y/n's) pov

I stepped out into the cool morning. The air that filled my lungs was crisp and thin, but the smell was clean. It was clear and light wafting from the dying tulips in the yard. The first frost had taken them but the smell was a good thing to start a day with. Like the feeling of driving my own car, that same smell clinging to the inside of my midnight blue transAM.

Opan receiving the car from my late and very estranged uncle, Jason, my dad put it away. Until I started driving, I was the first to learn how so I got the car. It also helped that neither of my sister's wanted it. I just found it funny both my car and I are trans. 

.

The wind changed as I pulled into the school parking lot, the parking lot was almost rocky and almost always smelled like weed. It wasn't bad, it just smelled like a high school. I parked on the side of the building and grabbed my things. The school was next to empty, being early in the morning my peers had not yet arrived. Most of the school population wouldn't be arriving until 9 am. I walked hastily through the hallways, turning and walking down the stairs in the A-hallway to make it to the bandroom. The sign outside the double doors read: Hellprep Devils play loud and proud. I enturned.

My bandmates were sitting around the room, retying shoes and tuning instruments. "Mr. (L/n), good to see you this morning!" Called Mr. Van Hallen, he waved. His calm and happy demeanor offset his height and broad shoulders. "Goodmorning, Mr. V." I said, my voice flatter than intended. I went to work, changing into my marching shoes, and grabbing my sousaphone. "How do you lug that thing?" Hailey asked. As I played it on my shoulder, watching the bell of the instrument carefully, I shook my head. "I'll never know, nearly killed me freshmen year." I replied. "Ya know what really makes it bad, I'm in a section with them." I pointed to another corner. Kyle, Payton, Larry, and Garret were standing together, wearing their football jerseys. The rest of my section, were taller, stronger guys. Part-time football assholes. They made practice hell, but it only drove me to play better. Hailey laughed, "Oh yeah, last week Garret was just almost cut for not coming to practice. Such a slacker." She said, we shook our heads.

"Band, attention!" A call rang out, getting all of our attention. We stood facing the voice, our backs straightened and feet together. "Yes, sir!" We called back. Our training had done us well. That sir that called us was not a sir at all, it was Kali. Yet another beautiful girl in our band. "Devils, take the fuild!" She commanded. Her long pink hair was tucked under her hat and ploom. The beautiful maroon of the hat complimented her olive skin and big bown doe eyes. I only noticed I had been staring at her when she looked back at me. "Something wrong, (Y/n)?" She asked, her voice like butter on the ears. "No." I winced, "No what?" She smiled at me. "No ma'am." I answered proudly and gave her a fake solute. Anything to make her laugh, and that she did. I followed my peers. Out of the double doors on the other side of our bandroom.

We practiced hard, running our finished show over and over. We only had a few performances before we would have to put away our hard work, and prepare for a new show for the next fall. As football season came to an end so did marching band. We all felt it's impending doom, and while we were relieved to not have to practice so early in the morning anymore, we would be sad to let go of a show we spent so much time working on. That's the fleetingness of marching, and besides there are always new monsters to take on, like concert band.

.

Gerard's pov

"Alright Mikes, let's go. I can't be late today." I called down up the stairs. "If I wanna be there on time I gotta drop you off first." I came up from my room, and stumbled to the kitchen. I tried my best to ignore the dirty dishes that piled on the counter, instead I opened the fridge. I searched for my lunch, I had to hide it behind the beer or else Mikey would steal it again. As I pulled the paper bag from behind the case a thought caressed my head. "Why not just take a beer too?" I muttered out loud to myself, I reached in the fridge and grabbed one slipping it in my pocket before walking out to the car. My book bag was already in the backseat, it's not like a paid any attention to my homework anyway. I crack the beer open taking a sip as I was getting into my car starting it.