Parents

3 Weeks Later

"It's been 3 weeks!" Klaus bellowed. "And still, not a single sign of her, nor of Hope. I swear, if my daughter is harmed in any way, I will hold you responsible." 

Gen glared at him. "You can't blame me for this. Even if I hadn't been here, Circe still would have taken her."

"Perhaps, but I trusted you to get her back and you haven't! Maybe you're not actually trying to stop Circe, but rather, are in on it with her!"

"Niklaus, calm down. It's not her fault," Elijah commented.

"No, Elijah, let him yell. He's right. I failed at getting Hope back." She turned back to Klaus, her voice deadly. "But if you think, for one second, that I would ally with Circe, then you are even more stupid than I thought." She made to walk away, but Klaus grabbed her by the wrist.

"Am I? After all, Circe warned us about another monster in our midst, and I'm quite sure she was talking about you."

Gen felt her hands tremble as she balled them into fists. Across the room, a few of of the lightbulbs exploded sending shards of glass flying. She wrenched her wrist from Klaus' grasp with surprising strength. She turned back to Klaus ever so slightly. 

"The next time you call me a monster, outright or not, will be the last time you find yourself able to speak," she said shakily, before walking away, leaving him to wonder what she'd do to him.

Elijah gave his brother a look of exasperation, before running out of the room after her.

"Genevieve! Wait!" He called after her.

But she didn't stop. She kept walking, and walking, with no idea where she was going. Only that she wanted to get away from there. Elijah finally caught up to her, grabbing her arm and forcing her to stop.

"Let go of me, Elijah," she demanded.

"No, not until I talk to you. I'm sorry for what Klaus said, and I know he regrets it as well, but-"

"No, I don't think he does," she exclaimed. "That's the problem, Elijah. Everywhere I go, I'm called a monster, because I don't fit into any one group. I'm not just a vampire, or a witch, or a siren, I'm all three. And when people hear that I'm a siren, they run from me in fear. If I had stayed with you, I would have been run out of town by a mob in a matter of months."

"You don't know that."

"But I do. That's how it's always been, that's how it will always be. I came to terms with that a long time ago. And the truth is, I don't need to fit in. I've always been an outsider, and I'm alright with that. I have myself, and that's all I'll ever need. But that doesn't mean I appreciate being called a monster, to my face, by someone who is just as much of a monster as I am."

Elijah started to speak again but she cut him off. "He has no idea what I've been through, what I've done to survive. No one has the right to judge me for the decisions I made, him least of all. And yes, I do regret many of the things I've done. But everyone has a past, and everyone has done things they regret."

Elijah eyed her, warily, but also with curiosity, wondering what she could have done that she would call herself a monster. He could see the layers of pain in her eyes, beneath that top layer of peace that she hides behind. She opened her mouth to say something more, but a voice behind her stopped her before she could.

"Genevieve?"

She paused, her face pale with shock. She turned slowly, wondering if it was a trick.

Behind her stood a man and a woman, holding hands. The woman's gray hair flew about in the wind, her blue eyes sparkling with tears. The woman let out a slight gasp in surprise, a smile filling her face.

"Mama?" Gen breathed. "Papa? Is it really you?" She took a step forward, then another. Her mother and father, overcome with joy, ran to meet her, enveloping her in their arms. They pulled her in tight, as tears began to fall from her face in a cascade, endlessly flowing down her cheeks.

Felix appeared behind them, astonished. "Mother? Father?" he cried as he too ran to them. He pulled them in, and they all fell to the ground in a pile, unable to let go of each other.

"How the bloody hell did you get here?" Felix laughed. 

"I'm not sure," their mother said. "We were walking down the street in Paris, and the next thing we knew, we were walking down the road here. Where is here, exactly?"

"You're in the U.S.," Gen explained. "A town called Mystic Falls, in Virginia."

"My apologies for the interruption," Klaus butted in as he strutted down the porch steps, "but would someone please explain who these people are?"

Gen kept her mouth shut, refusing to speak to him, or even face him. But to Elijah she said, "This is my mother, Elysia, and my father, Marcus."

"Pleasure," was all he replied. He was too stunned at the sight of her parents to respond.

"I've missed you so much," Gen practically sobbed.

"If you've all stopped blubbering, we need to get back to the matter at hand, which is finding my daughter, and tearing the heart out of that sea bitch," Klaus said.

"Who are your friends, darling?" Elysia asked.

Genevieve scoffed. "You can hardly call them my friends. They're more of acquaintances. I met them in Italy in the 1400's, when I traveled home for a short time."

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, both of you."

"I thought you were in Greece, not Paris. Or at least, that's what Felix said."

"We were," Marcus explained, "but we heard rumors of her staying nearby, so we decided it was time to move on. While we loved Paris, I think I speak for both of us when I say we are much happier to be here, with you."