Chapter Six: The Smart, The Famous, and The Gifted

There are several dialogue quotes taken from JK Rowling's Sorcerer's Stone in this book. This is to convey the same story she wrote, but from another character's POV. The quotes taken directly from the book have three quotation marks (instead of two) around them to signify she wrote them and that I am citing them. Because I am transforming pieces of her work into something new this falls under the Fair Use Act. Additionally, JK Rowling has stated that she is okay with noncommercial fan fiction. All direct quotes, the Harry Potter storyline, and the characters all belong to JK Rowling.

Navigating the halls of Hogwarts was a difficult task to say the least. The staircases moved, the surroundings changed, and Peeves the poltergeist was always ready to make a scene, distracting first years and causing mayhem. However, for a certain blonde boy named Draco Malfoy, finding his way around the castle was easier than it was for most. He had read Hogwarts: A History hundreds of times, and was as much prepared as any first year could be. Of course, his basis of knowledge didn't fully protect him from wandering down the wrong hall every once in a while.

On his first day, Draco managed to find himself in a small rickety corridor when he was trying to visit Niklaus at the Owlery. He stopped to look at a coat of armor that looked... off, when Peeves jumped out from inside of it and chased him all the way down, past the Great Hall all while throwing chalk pieces and screaming obscenities. It was quite a spectacle that left quite a few students laughing as Draco ran across the courtyard trying to get Peeves off his tail.

Draco had a great hunger for knowledge, and although he would never admit it to Crabbe and Goyle, he loved all of his classes. A few times a week they got to visit the greenhouse to learn about magical plants and their purposes for their Herbology lesson. Once a week they got to stay up way past curfew and chart the stars in the night sky at midnight for Astronomy. Their History of Magic classes were thought of as boring by most, but Draco enjoyed hearing the stories of famous witches and wizards, the triumphs and defeats of war, the injustices that non-human beings faced. He found it even more curious and delightful that it was taught by the ghost of the old professor who had apparently woken up dead one day, but continued to teach without even noticing he had died.

Transfigurations was one of the more exciting classes, as they were already practicing basic magic, which Draco had no trouble succeeding in. He had been the only one in his Slytherin class who had been able to perfectly turn a match into a needle by the end of class. However, Professor McGonagall did not seem very impressed to Draco's dismay. He had brought her his perfect needle with a huge grin to which she responded "It's passable Mr. Malfoy," before lecturing them about doing better to meet her expectations.

Charms was eventful as well, similar to Transfigurations, but Professor Flitwick was a short cheerful man who was easily excited and pleased with his students. He was definitely the kind of teacher who made you feel good about yourself.

Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Quirrell was interesting to say the least. On one hand, the subject matter was great, but Professor Quirrell somehow managed to suck the fun out of what was supposed to be one of the best classes. He was a stuttering anxious fraud in Draco's eyes. And he, Crabbe, and Goyle would sit in the back and ask Professor Quirrell specific questions about his encounters with zombies, vampires, and such until his face would go completely red with embarrassment.

"Just leave him alone, Draco," Daphne muttered as they walked out of Quirrell's class and towards the Great Hall for lunch.

"Why should he?" Pansy responded with her nose in the air, "If we are going to learn defensive magic, it should be from someone who knows what they are doing, right Draco?" She looked at him with wide eyes, hoping for approval.