Chapter 18

I didn't know if it was the Firewhiskey or the kiss that warmed my stomach. The smell of old jumpers, Firewhiskey, and dungbombs crept its way into my nose. It felt like things were finally going to be okay. Until he pulled away, and I felt all the blood in my body rush to my cheeks.

"Eva I-I'm dating Angelina, and you have that guy you sneak out to see..."

I could feel the tears prick at my eyes, and my head felt heavy from the Firewhiskey but at the same time I felt stone cold sober.

"There's no guy. I-I'm sorry I'm just lonely and the Firewhiskey you know it..." my voice was barely above a whisper as I trailed off but I was saved by Hermione's berating of Ron.

"You arse! It's just a rat, Ronald!" As she ran to her dorms crying, I could Ginny was on the verge of tears as well.

"I should...I'm going to go."

I stumble away and up the girls stairs towards Hermione's dorm with Ginny on my tail. As we run up the stairs I could hear George yelling at the three boys, "I leave for three minutes and you bloody idiots go and make all them cry!"

Hermione doesn't protest as me and Ginny climb into her small bed and cry with her. "What happen with you two?"

"Stupid Harry," Ginny sniffles.

"Stupid Fred."

"Stupid Ron," Hermione adds in as we all lay together in our sorrow. Eventually, I move to the bathroom to puke my guts out. The shame of feeling like my dad or uncle, or whoever he was, was building up in me. I vowed to myself to never drink if I was miserable again.

The rest of the break was spent with Ginny and Hermione and the three of us were actively avoiding Ron, Harry, and Fred. Christmas Day had been painfully awkward and even George's jokes didn't make it better.

Hermione had buried herself in books, refusing to be in even the same room as Ron. It didn't get much better for her after she had Harry's new broom taken away. Ginny, while dancing with Harry, had got him somehow to confess he found the Ravenclaw seeker attractive. So, she busied herself with Quidditch practice even in the snow. And I had distracted myself with coming up with ways to make it up to Kala and Luna for being a horrible friend.

With the help of Sirius and Remus who I visited, separately of course, as often as I could I got Kala an amazing birthday and Christmas present. Remus had used his connections to get me a signed broomstick of one of Kala's favorite player Victor Krum. As for Luna I had gotten her some rare crystal necklaces and Spectrespecs, which apparently made Wrackspurts visible. I had decided for the last night of break to go back to the Ravenclaw dorms and set up for Kala and Luna. I also just wanted to be alone for my birthday. The shame of everything this year is getting to me and I didn't need a celebration to make things better.

I couldn't contain the loud gasp that escaped my lips when I walked up to my bed. There lies four presents. I thought only Sirius and Luna knew my birthday, but because of Ginny refusing to leave my side we didn't end up meeting like planned a few days after Christmas.

I opened the large package first to see it was from Molly and Arthur. Inside was a jumper with the letter E on it and of course a card.

Eva,
I'm so sorry that this turned into your birthday gift instead of Christmas, but Errol hit his head too hard and wasn't able to fly for a while. Enjoy being 15 darling and I can't wait to see you at the end of the school year.

Love Molly       and Arthur

The next was a parchment with a little bow on top with a card next to it.

Eva,
Now as your teacher I have no authority to give this to you. But as your godfather well I don't feel as guilty. Tap the parchment with your wand and say I solemnly swear that I am up to no good and when your done with it say Mischief Managed. This is not the original map but a close copy, so take care of it.

Remus

I quickly move to test it out. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

Ink starts spreading throughout the parchment. Messers and Misses Moony, Prongs, Padfoot, and Mini Padfoot, probably present you the Marauder's Map No. 2. I smile at the words Mini Padfoot.

Next was a small package from Luna containing some odd looking necklaces.

Eva,
These necklaces will keep away the Nargles and some others will help you be connected to certain creatures. I miss you.

Love Luna

My heart felt like it was being pulled at those words. I missed Luna more than I could imagine. The last gift is from Kala which surprises me. I truly thought she didn't want anything to do with me. Inside the tiny package was a small ring.

Eva,
I can't believe I'm saying this or writing it I guess, but I miss you. Maybe I was too hard on you but I just feel out of the loop a lot and I have a hard time expressing my emotions. Anyways this is a muggle promise ring which I guess you would know about. But I just to promise that I'll always love you no matter what. Also you have to tell me how you got that broomstick signed.
Kala