Peaches

Kireina lounged atop the brick fence, bathing in the sun as Azula trained with her master in the courtyard

Kireina lounged atop the brick fence, bathing in the sun as Azula trained with her master in the courtyard. She leisurely ate a peach without a care in the world, including the fact that the fruit was dripping all over her skin creating a sticky mess.

"I can't focus when all I hear is Ekko slobbering all over a peach!" Azula huffed, shooting blue flames angrily from her palms.

"If you were in battle right now and my chewing distracted you- you'd be dead. You can't lose focus while dueling or your opponent will catch you off guard. I get that you can't stop thinking about me but at least pay attention during your training." Rein countered.

"What do you know about fighting? You can't even bend! I could take you down in a millisecond!"

"Are you flirting or starting a fight?" Kireina replied, sloppily taking another bite from the fruit. The fire bender's face grew red and she quickly looked away, releasing a grunt of frustration. "Zula, I'm just messing with you. Relax and practice your breathing."

Azula's hands formed into fists but she nonetheless complied with Rein. She felt weak to anything the older girl said and she couldn't understand why. Some nomad-hippie-peasant wandered into her life without reason and Azula felt an otherworldly attachment to her. Although she wanted nothing more than to defy the wise and optimistic teenager, it was as if her heart would not allow her to.

The Princess was enraged over the fact that Kireina was able to get through to her like no one has before. Azula prided herself over the fact that she never submitted to anyone, not even her absent mother or her annoying uncle.

"Why do you keep making it seem like I have a crush on you? I'm a girl, Ekko, I like guys." Azula grunted, throwing a ball of flames at her unsuspecting mentor. "Do you even know how anatomy works?"

The airbender shrugged, "I'm a girl and I like anyone I think is cute. Why must I restrict myself when this world has so much love to offer?"

"You like girls?" Azula gasped while simultaneously getting knocked off her feet by her opponent. She sent the older man a glare and he took it as his cue to give the girl's some privacy.

"I like what I like, Zu...la." Rein stuttered as her mind flashed to memories of Zuko. She had many similar discussions with the Fire Prince during their sunrise get-togethers. A faint smile ghosted her lips as she recalled Zuko's words.

"Those Monks really did a number on you, huh? Well, I guess, you do you Reina. But I hope you know that I'll punch anyone who hurts you in the face, girl or guy. These fists don't see gender when it comes to you."

"What are you smiling about? Aren't you embarrassed?" Azula's eyes bore into Rein's, begging for an honest reply.

The grin that once adorned Kireina's lips was now flipped into a frown, accompanied by a set of furrowed brows. "Embarrassed? There's nothing to be embarrassed about, Azula. Why would you even think-"