Chapter 42- Promises

"Wha-I-...um... huh?" 

Smooth, Luke.

Shakily, I clear my throat.

"S-Sean... is that an en-engagement ring?" My voice comes out shakily and unusually high-pitched. 

He smiles nervously. "No, but it IS a promise ring. Luka..." He reaches out with one hand to grasp my own gently before staring into my eyes. "I know we're young. We've got college and jobs and our whole lives ahead of us. And many people will say that even thinking about marriage at our age is weird. Hell, they might be right. But, all I know is that I have thought about my future a lot in the past months. When we were studying, when I was working hard at games to earn scholarships, and when we both applied to schools together: all of that made me truly think about what I wanted with my life. Do you know what I figured out, Baby?"

I wordlessly shake my head no.

"I figured out that I don't know what I'm going to do with my life, but I DO know that I want to spend every moment of it at your side."

I'd be lying if I said my heart didn't freaking jump at those words. 

"So, while this isn't an engagement ring, it is meant to show you what my intentions are for us. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a fling. This is not puppy love. This is not some random relationship that we'll forget about as soon as we get to college. I love you so damn much, Luke, and I intend to prove that for as long as you'll let me. I want you to be the first and last person I see every day. I want to hear you talk about every thought that pops into your head, be they random or profound. I want you to let me kiss away your tears whenever someone dares to harm you, and I want to be the guy who kicks their asses immediately afterword. You are my life. So, Rabbit, will you do me the honor of promising yourself to me as I have to you?"

What do I even say to that? The boy I've given my heart to, who saved me from my wretched father and taught me that I am actually worth something, just basically proposed to me. Sure, the thought of marriage terrifies me. However, as I think about it, it's just the idea of marriage that's scary, not marrying Sean. I know, from the bottom of my heart, that Sean is the love of my life. There is no way that I'd ever respond with any answer but-

"Of course!"

Those beautiful blue eyes shimmer with delight at my response. "Really?!"

"Sean, I love you. So, so much. You have legitimately changed my life. Before you, I was just some shy, guilt-ridden Catholic boy with a shitty father and two real friends. Granted, I'm still shy and I still have a bit of Catholic guilt in me, but now I also have you. You make me happier than I ever thought possible. I've been silently crushing on you for YEARS, now, and only because of one stupid assignment for the choir was I finally able to do something about it. I love you so much and I really do want to spend my life with you.

He kisses me. Not hard, but passionate. I put my hands gently on his cheeks, pulling him closer to me so I might steal a few more sweet kisses."

I giggle softly against his lips. "Best Christmas gift ever"

A rumble of laughter erupts from his chest as he reaches into the box, pulling out a silver ring. "The first of many, Baby." 

The ring is simple, just a shimmering silver band. I like it. I've never been one to show off or seek attention, so I was happy he hadn't gotten one with a huge diamond on it. As he slid it on, I can't help but notice how perfectly it fits my fingers. Once on, Sean places the box on his nightstand and digs in his pocket, pulling out a matching band and putting it on himself.

"I'm now realizing just how cheesy this entire session was." I laugh as his hands grip my waist and easily lift me so that I'm straddling his lap. He laughs too, kissing me softly once more.

"Says the boy who literally serenaded me so that I'd go out with him."

I blush profusely and lightly slap his chest. "Hey! You said you loved my song!"

"I did, baby. You know I love you and your song." He quirks and eyebrow and smiles as he softly sings, "I'm hopelessly devoted to you..."

I roll my eyes but still smile like a crazy person. "You know, it would have saved me a LOT of anxiety if you told me you liked me sooner."

"Where's the fun in that? I wanted to be wooed, baby!"

I let out an exasperated sigh. This man is going to be the death of me.

Sean laughs heartily and kisses my forehead. "Kidding! Really, I do actually regret not saying something sooner. Believe it or not, I was scared you'd reject me."

My jaw dropped to the floor.

"No way! Not possible! How could I ever reject the handsome jock I hadd been in love with since forever."

"Seeing as I didn't know that last part, it seemed more than likely that you wouldn't be interested in the dumb jock."

My eyes soften a bit. "You're not dumb, Sean. You know that."

"I wasn't at the time. Some smart, sexy little nerd had to tutor me..." He laughs gently.

"It doesn't matter anymore. I am officially yours," Suddenly, his eyes narrow sexily and his voice drops in tone, "And you are officially mine..."

No, I'm not...

Am I doing this?

Screw it, I'm doing this.

Taking a deep breath, I put on my best "sexy face" and stare deep into his eyes.                              

"Not yet, I'm not..." I whisper, firmly pushing my hips against him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

Don't fret! This ain't a cliffhanger! It's just that this chapter and the next one ended up being close to 4k words, and I didn't want the smexy times ruinin the fluff that just happened.

Also, yes you read right. Smexy times incoming. I've legitimately been writing just the smut for a good hour and a half. I just came back now to make this fluffy part a bit longer so this chapter wasn't stupid short.

Don't forget to leave a comment, and I'll see you all in 20 seconds when I post the next chapter.