chapter seven

p a r k e r

"Yo, Captain B!" Andrew yells across the locker room. "How was Delittevole?" he smirks at me.

My brows furrow. "How'd you know I went there?" I didn't tell anyone that I went there, not even Deacon or Miles. Not that Olivia and I are keeping our relationship—friendship—a secret, but I just wanted people to mind their own business.

"I saw an article of you and that hot model," he says.

I turn to Deacon who lifts his phone into my line of sight. Sure enough, the article's headline reads New York Blaze Team Captain, Parker Baylor, Has a New Beau. I snatch the phone from his hand.

The 25-year-old NHL player was spotted with 22-year-old fashion model, Olivia Windsor, dining at Delittevole. Sparks were flying last night as the two shared a romantic meal.

At the bottom, there's a picture of Olivia and I holding hands. So much for a private table, I think to myself.

"So, you guys are serious?" Deacon asks. That's an understatement. More like expecting a baby in a few months.

Instead, I just nod. "All secretive now, are we?" he quips.

Guilt settles in the pit of my stomach. I want to tell Deacon and Miles about my situation with Olivia. It's eating at me that I haven't told them yet. It's not that I don't trust them because I know they'd take my secrets to the grave. I just don't want this to taint my reputation. I don't want them to see me as incapable of being team captain.

"Is everything okay with you, Baylor?" Deacon's wears a concerned expression.

"I'm good," I nod. "Let's just focus on practice."

________________________

"Parks," Miles calls from the kitchen. "Can I open this bag of chips?"

"Yeah," I yell from the living room where Deacon and I lay on the couch. I already knew Miles was going to raid my pantry once we got to my condo after practice. There's no question that Miles can eat.

As a sports channel plays on the television, I contemplate revealing the news to them. It's all I could think about since Siggy brought up my relationship with Olivia. I couldn't focus at all during practice. Even Coach Matthews sensed something was off. "Get your head in the game, Parker!" he yelled at me.

Deacon and Miles are great support systems. Though we're tough on the ice, we do rely on each other in our personal lives. And it would be impossible to keep something so life altering a secret.

Miles hops onto the couch, a party size potato chip bag in hand—which will soon be empty. On an impulse, I clear my throat and they both turn their heads at me. "I need to tell you guys something."

Both of their eyebrows furrow, most likely concerned about why I'm acting weird. Miles scans me from head to toe. "Are you injured?"
he questions.

I shake my head. "No, I'm perfectly healthy."

"Well, you obviously aren't getting traded," Deacon says warily.

"It's nothing like that," I say.

"Is this about Olivia?" Deacon asks.

When I don't answer, Miles says, "Yup. It's definitely about the girl."

"Dude, spit it out," Deacon's patience deterring.