Chapter 28

Mike couldn't shut up about their Quidditch match against Slytherin and their victory for the next few weeks. Although he was more worried than ever about their game against Gryffindor which was approaching soon.

Although his mind wandered off Quidditch and he forgot all about it when it was announced that they were going to get career advice from their Head of House individually.

"Obviously a career as a professional Quidditch player is good," said Mike as he and Alexandra were sitting in the Great Hall that morning for breakfast. "Anything in the Ministry of Magic might be good, cause it has room for you to grow. Although I don't think my parents would understand Wizarding jobs. They still think doctors and lawyers and engineers are the only jobs in the world."

Alexandra who had no idea what any of those three words meant so she just nodded, only half-listening. Her choice was obvious for the future if it was down to her, but she wasn't sure if her grandfather would allow her to work at any place other than the Ministry of Magic, alongside him.

Both Alexandra and Mike were one of the last ones to be called up to Professor Flitwick's office for their career advice. So when it was Alexandra's turn and her name was up, she waved Mike goodbye and walked out of the Great Hall.

She knocked at the Professor's door once she reached it and opened it when she heard a faint, "Come in."

"Good afternoon, Professor." Alexandra smiled at him as she walked inside and closed the door behind her.

"Miss Starling, please, sit down," said Professor Flitwick as he sat behind his table, gesturing at the chair before him.

Alexandra politely nodded and sat down quietly, waiting for Professor Flitwick as he went through her files and checked how she was doing in classes.

"Well, Miss Starling..." he let out a sigh, placing down the papers on the desk after a long pause. "You're not doing too bad in Defense Against the Dark Art, Charms, or Transfigurations, but you have to try harder in them. You've got room for progress. You're doing fine in Herbology, too. But with Astronomy and Potions... it needs a lot of hard work. But the class that I see you're best at is of course Care of Magical Creatures."

"W-well, actually I always wanted become a Magizoologist," she said, her smile widening. "I love working with magical creatures."

"You certainly have the talent for it." The Professor gave her a approving smile. "I'm sure that would be the right path for you."

But Alexandra's face fell as she remembered her grandfather. There was no way he would allow her to run off and travel all around the world to work with strange creatures and beasts, as he liked to call them.

"A-actually..." Alexandra started, throwing her gaze down. "My grandpa thinks the right path for me is to work at the Ministry, where he is. He's got a high post there, you see. So he think he can help me there."

"But is it really your passion, to stay in an office all day long?" he questioned.

"No, of course not." Alexandra shook her head briskly.

"Well, then, I say you better follow your passions. This isn't your grandfather's life, Miss Starling. It's yours."

Alexandra felt slightly more cheerful at those words, though she still felt nervous each time she had to even think about standing up to her grandfather. It was bad enough that she had ran off over Christmas. How was she even going to face him now that the summer break was approaching?

Alexandra had always daydreamed about running off from home once she was of age, to go and travel the world, see different placed and meeting different people, seeing many magical creatures and helping them. But now that she was nearly sixteen, the thought scared her more than anything and running off sounded impossible even in her head.

After Professor Flitwick had told her that she could leave and their work was done, Alexandra thanked him and left the office, her mind still wandering away as she walked back to the Ravenclaw tower.

Once she reached the entrance of the common room, the eagle knocker came to life at her sight and spoke, "I'm tall when I'm young, and I'm short when I'm old. What am I?"

Alexandra sighed thoughtfully. "Er... a candle?"

"Correct," said the eagle and so by that, the door opened, revealing the Ravenclaw common room.

Alexandra walked up to her dorm, wanting to get her book from her nightstand to go and read it in her favorite seat in the common room in front of the window. This always helped to soothe her nerves.

But she frowned in confusion when she reached her bed and saw a letter upon it. So she went and quickly picked it up, reading through with an exciting lurch in her stomach,

Dear Alex,
Witherwings is having her baby! Come down as soon as you can!
Hagrid