2 8 | J U L I A

Ajax Cerullo was a stranger to me so naturally I was very uncomfortable with the living arrangements. It would've been easier for me had he been a bit more likeable and nice. But he was none of those things. He was loud and obnoxious and he certainly didn't know how to respect people's privacy.

That was evident when he barged into my room without any warning and demanded me to make him something to eat. I was annoyed because I was practicing but he was Braxton's friend and so I couldn't anything but obey his orders. Braxton was so much nicer than this guy. I wonder why they were even friends.

Ajax didn't know how to treat people with basic human decency because he thought the other maids and I were there to serve him. On more than one occasions I wanted to make it clear to him that it was Braxton who I worked for, not him. But of course I never did.

I never stood up to bullying and abuse so how could I stand up to something this trivial?

His brashness towards us was definitely better than what I had experienced. The thing that ticked me off the most was that he was too comfortable in a house which wasn't even his. He would litter everywhere he went and I had to clean up after him. It was like he was on a mission to make this house the dirtiest he could. He even ordered pizza with Braxton's money!

Why did Braxton even tolerate this guy? Just because they were school buddies so many years ago did not mean that he was obliged to help him and let him use him like this. The one thing I detested the most were people who took advantage of others' kindness for their own selfish gain. Ajax definitely fit into that category.

He was sitting in front of the TV and stuffing his face with more food bought with money which wasn't his and when I was cleaning up the wrappers and empty bottles which were all over the floor, I recognized a song by Astronomical Beats had come up on one of the channels.

Ajax quickly pressed down hard on a button to change the channel. He scoffed lightly. "Braxton really had it easy. There was no struggle, no hard work. The main reason he was selected at the audition was because of his looks." He shook his head. "Don't you agree?" He turned towards me. I didn't answer so he continued. "It's true. We both had given our auditions together but he was the one got selected to make the band. Lucky fucker."

He noticed my disgusted expression and he chuckled. "Hey, come on. He and I had been friends for a long time and it's fine for us to call each other like that."

I wasn't convinced. "He's really good at what he does so I don't agree with what you say." I couldn't help but feel the need to defend Braxton. I could really see how he got everything he had now was only because of pure talent.

"Someone desperately wants to get into his pants," He remarked.

"Someone doesn't know how to use their own money and not rip off their rich friend." I retorted, having reached my limits with him. I had never talked back to someone ever in my life. His earlier remark made my blood boil. I was overtaken by adrenaline and wanted to counter back. I didn't regret putting him in his place. It felt good to tell him off although it wasn't much.

He stood and leveled an icy glare at me. "What did you say?"

I didn't answer his question. "I've finished cleaning here. If you need me to do anything else, I'll be available." With that I turned back to leave.

"No, you make yourself clear here. What do you mean by that?! You mean to say I'm taking advantage of him? I'm not! This is the least he owes me and he knows that."

I didn't react although that got me wondering what he meant by that.

Before leaving for the library, I placed my bag on the kitchen counter and did some leftover work. I had been actively trying to avoid running into Ajax but unluckily for me I found him in the kitchen after I returned. He was again looking for some food although he just had a big breakfast not even an hour ago.

I ignored him and took my bag but just as I was about to leave, he decided to speak.

"I'm warning you," he began. "If you don't watch that mouth of yours, I'm going to make Braxton throw you out."

"That won't be necessary." I replied. "If he does decide that I shouldn't be here anymore, I'll gladly leave on my own because I'm not a leech like certain people I've come to know."

I'd experienced changes in myself that happened only after I left my old life behind and one of the positive change from that was that I was more expressive about my feelings. Earlier I used to just suppress all of it and wouldn't let anyone know what was going on inside of me but now I had this sense of safety and freedom that made me express my displeasure when I didn't like something.

Like then with Ajax. In a way he brought out the best in me. Letting him know how I exactly felt about him, albeit subtly was a good thing which only happened because of him. Although people might consider this as a bad thing, for me it was good. It meant I was moving on, that I was slowly gaining everything I'd lost.

"Julia, is it? You're going to regret ever crossing me again, Julia. You dare to live in my friend's house and show that attitude to me. Just because Braxton has been kind to you doesn't mean I'll let him continue to do so. I'm going to make sure he'll kick you out himself."

"It doesn't matter to me. You can do whatever you want."

After I was outside, I took a deep breath to calm my thundering heart. Despite the altercation I had a smile on my face. I had not kept quiet and let him say whatever he wanted. I had countered back at someone who was not pleasant! This was a huge progress for me. I didn't think it could ever be possible. All my life I had thought I would have to bear it and let other people walk all over me. But Ajax helped me prove myself wrong and for that I was thankful to him.

 But Ajax helped me prove myself wrong and for that I was thankful to him

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow!