Chapter 48: Safe

"Oh my god... Scott!" I run at him and pull him into a tight hug. "You have no idea how... How relieved I am to see you." His warmth embraces me like a thick blanket after being out in the cold.

My arms wrap around him so tight that they begin to ache. "I wasn't sure what happened to you, I thought that maybe you'd been taken and killed... That you'd--I don't even know. I'm just so glad you're okay." I cry into his shoulder.

He slips his arms out from beneath my grip, and instead wraps himself around me, now being the one to crush me, but it feels so good. I feel comfortable and safe. This feels like a dream. I never thought I would see him again. But here we are.

"It's alright." He whispers into my ear, making me even more at ease. "I'm here now."

For minutes we just stand, no words, just the sound of our shallow breathing, and my soft sobs.

By the time I reluctantly pull away, I know Scott's shoulder is soaked with my tears of happiness and relief.

It all just feels too surreal.

I take in the sight of him. His blonde, curly hair flops over his forehead, just like the first time I had ever seen him. His penetrating green eyes stare at me with an intense gaze, and I can't seem to look away from him.

"Are you alright?" Scott asks with concern and he takes a step towards me and surveys my face, and then my body. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm--I'm fine." I say, despite being quite the opposite.

For the past almost two days, I've been on a plane, having nothing else to do besides worrying about my captor finding me.

I'm not only physically drained, but mentally too. I want to relax and forget about everything. I want to  breathe.

"What has he done to you?" Scott mumbles as he continues to scan my body. "You're so skinny, nothing but bones."

I close my eyes and take in a deep breath. "I'm truly alright." I say with as much confidence I can muster. "What about you? What happened?"

He finally breaks his eyes away from me and looks to the ground, taking a few steps backwards.

Scott looks better than he did when he was in the cellar. His face is filled with beautiful colour, and he looks like he's gained some weight. He looks healthy, though my eyes can't help but gravitate towards his hands where he fiddles with his fingers.

Two fingers on his left hand have been cut off at the knuckle, leaving behind a stub that looks red and raw, still healing. While on his right hand, his thumb has been completely cut off.

Scott draws in a deep breath.

"I--You don't have to tell me straight away... I just, after I had made that promise that I would come back for you... I couldn't forgive myself... And Matteo was--I'm so sorry."

Scott takes a large stride towards me and puts his hands on either side of my shoulders, squeezing them. "You have nothing to apologise for Mia."

"But-" I begin, though I am quickly cut off.

"Nothing." He repeats. "You never asked for this."

He pulls me into a hug once again.

"Don't ever think any of this is your fault." He whispers.

"Okay." I whisper back, just wanting to melt into his arms and forget about everything.

"I need to get you out of here." Scott says as he pulls away and pulls me to the front door, though I don't follow him and instead stay rooted to the ground. He turns to look back at me with a confused expression on his face. "Matteo could have men here at any moment... There is no doubt he is already aware of your arrival, and is not on his way himself."

"I'm not leaving until I find my friend, Alice." I state firmly. I will not just leave her house, when It's clearly been trashed... Could Matteo's men have thought I already came over? Could they have taken Alice hostage?

Nerves begin to fill my body, and my hands start to shake.

If anything has happened to Alice because of me... I don't think I could ever forgive myself. I'm already risking my Mother's life... And that isn't sitting with me well at all.

I'll have to call her... I'll have to-

"Your friend isn't here." Scott says, as he grabs my hand once again.

"How do you know that?" I question. "How do you know who she is--Why are you here Scott?" I question suddenly, snatching my arm away from him.

I never mentioned Alice specifically to Scott, sure I told him that I only had one close friend, but never any details.

So why is Scott in Alice's house? How does he know her, and where she lives?

"We don't have time for this." Scott takes my arm for the last time. "Please just come with me and I will explain everything. I promise." He pleads, his eyes large and staring straight into mine.

I look back over the lounge room which is in disarray, and then back at Scott.

I don't have time to process anything before I hear the familiar sound of screeching cars in the distance.

I have no choice but to go with him. Staying behind isn't an option, I can't go back to Matteo.

I nod, and Scott pulls me from Alice's house instantly and brings us to a navy car parked just outside. "Get in the back and lay down. Don't look up until I say it's safe." He tells me, unlocking the car doors.

I do as he says, and lay down on the floor, shutting the door behind me.

Scott starts the car and pulls out from the curb, before beginning down the road. The sound of cars approaching gets louder and louder until I can hear them right beside our car, racing down the road at full speed.

I clench my eyes shut, and wrap my arms around myself.

Everything is going to be fine. I'm safe, and free from Matteo.

I'm safe.

I feel the cold air seeping in from the doors, coating my skin, and the edge of the seat digging into my back.

I'm safe.

In the distance I hear the echo of doors being slammed, followed by the rush of footsteps.

I'm safe.

------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys!!!!
First of all... THANK YOU FOR 400K!!!!!! YEEHAW, I NEVER THOUGHT THIS STORY WOULD GET THIS FAR, SO THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Any who, sorry for being late again with my update, I promise it will get regular again, I just need to get back into the routine.
Love ya'll!!!!
-FoggyCloudyWords