CHAPTER 1

2 months earlier.

The reverend dabbed his forehead for the billionth time that day. He clutched the microphone and once again, started spluttering out verses.

Otis sighed and dipped her hand into her pocket. Griffin gave her a sharp jab in the ribs. Otis winced.
"What the hell was that for?!"she angrily hissed.
Griffin faced the direction of the pulpit.

"No fidgeting and/or eating while church is in progress,"she replied.
Otis slumped down on her worn chair.
"Come on, there's no way you can actually find this interesting! Aren't you hungry at all?!"

Griffin didn't answer. Instead she gulped and kept her eyes forward. Otis grinned. She slipped out a miniature bar of chocolate and placed it on Griffin's lap. Suddenly Griffin shot up.
"Church is over."
Everybody was getting up from their seats and gathering their things.
"I know you wanted it, you can't lie to me,"challenged Otis.

Griffin stared right down at her,"I didn't want it, can't you just drop it?"

Otis hooked her bag on her arm and said, " no lying under the eyes of God."
And with that she was gone.

                          ****

Sean stepped into the butcher's and plummeted down on the nearest chair. Darrell, the owner of the butcher shop, knelt down beside him and clapped his hand on Sean's back.
"Is mom at it again?"

Sean straightened himself up and  sighed.
"Yeah."

Darrell dragged a seat over and sat down beside him.
"I'm all ears."

                         ****

Griffin rested her head on the graffitied bus window. The bus stopped. Griffin watched as Jennifer hopped on.
"Hey Griffin!"
She ran down the narrow aisle.
Griffin gave a small nod in reply.

"What are the odds of meeting you here, what a small world we live in. It's quite funny because we also live in such a tiny town,"Jennifer started stuffing her bus receipt in her little, beige purse,"I mean everyone knows everything about everyone, it kinda makes me feel uncomfortable but I know nothing bad is going to happen. I know everyone through and through, I know this town is safe."