chapter twenty-seven

A Dark Graveyard

A Dark Graveyard

"I don't understand." - Thomas

⚯͛

24th June 1995

Raven wasn't sure how she expected to die - a part of her figured she would end up following in her mother's footsteps - one day, her potions would stop working and she would spiral, before ending her life, in the quickest ways she could think of. Other than that small thought lagging at the back of her mind, she had no idea what to expect; would it be old age? - no - surely not, she could never see herself growing old, something about that just didn't seem right.

But if not old age, what would bring her to an end - stop the miserable life of Raven Howendale?

The thoughts of her death had skipped over her mind, although they had never invaded her as much as they had when she looked around what seemed to be a dark graveyard, something seemed off.

Chilling ice seemed to move through her body - Raven spun around, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, pulling the sleeves of her robe down further to cover her hands. Her hand pressed against the stone, calloused fingers dipping into the intriguing patterns carved onto it, "It's a graveyard," Cedric gasped, he trailed behind her, reading the writing carved into the stone, "The cup was a Portkey."

Raven turned to look at him, limping over towards him - her stormy eyes scanned the headstone, "Did anybody tell you the cup was a Portkey?"

Cedric shook his head, tearing his eyes away from the headstone, locking them onto her own, "I don't understand." Raven muttered, reading the engravings on the headstones.

"Wands out you reckon?" Raven nodded, pulling her wand out from her robe pocket. If death was faced before her she didn't know what she would do - would she fight? - sometimes Raven wanted to face death because when she had died she could meet her mother, she would finally get to meet the person who brought her into this cruel world, "someones coming."

Raven turned, looking around her, she could hear quiet sobs - begs - someone was near, but Cedric seemed oblivious to this, he stepped in front of her, his eyes squinting into the darkness, "Run - it's part of the prophecy!"

They both turned to move, although a chilling voice hissed through the air, "Kill the spare." And Raven let out a sob of disbelief as Cedric was blasted to the floor beside her.

"Cedric?!" The boy let out a raspy gasp for air, his frantic eyes locking onto her own. His robes were torn, crimson blood spilling onto the damp grass, "Oh my God, Cedric!" She moved forward, pressing her shaking hands onto one of the larger wounds, the sticky liquid staining her robes.

"Run." Her head snapped up, facing the paling boy, his voice was horse almost unauidable, his hands trembling from where they rested beside him, "Run!"