01

Birthdays

Birthdays. I've never been a big partier to say the very least.

Especially not after my 18th.

Having multiple male strippers show up with a penis-shaped cake along with many other phallic-shaped things, to a family gathering was probably the most memorable birthday to date, but for all the wrong reasons.

Three years ago and I still cannot wipe the memory of having my grandmother get a lap dance from one of the strippers, and having to explain to my younger brother why the ice-cream cake was in the shape of male private parts.

Trust me, it got worse when he asked if he could have some of the 'white stuff' which was marshmallow fluff.

Clearly meant to be something else.

All designed by Esme of course, she's always had a flair for the dramatic. Should've seen her sequin prom dress. Something not many people would be able to pull off.

Oh, how I wish I could erase that whole birthday weekend from memory.

Having to face my father after that day, well it took a while, to say the least. Watching not only his wife but his mother and daughter all be given a personal strip show was traumatizing - and by personal I mean we had to use our teeth.

Took well over a month for me to even be able to look him in the eye again.

Since that day, my best friend Esme has not been allowed to plan any more birthday surprises, or birthday related anything for that matter.

That girl is the very opposite of me and it will be my biggest downfall, because boy, do I let her get away with it.

It's weird how we've been best friends our whole life considering we really aren't that compatible. Her being a Leo and me a Pisces.

We technically should clash, I'm more reserved. A dreamer, but I'm much more a giver than anything else. If possible I'd avoid the spotlight, well at least where I'm the one knowingly in the spotlight.

It's why I don't think I could ever be a big celebrity.

Whereas Esme on the other hand. She can be a little self-centered. She's very overbearing and bold. But I make sure damn well she knows it and I put her in her place when I have to.

I'm what I like to consider as kind, juxtaposing my best friend's bluntness who won't think twice to tell you how she really feels.

And trust me, when she's in a room full of thousands of people, you will know she is there. She likes to make her presence known.

Nonetheless, I couldn't love anyone more than I love her. And I truly don't think I'll meet anyone who genuinely cares for me as much as she does.

"Happy 21st Birthday Evangeline." I hear the familiar voice burst through my door.