─ treize

TREIZE

sisters before misters!

Lily sighed as she watched the owl fly away

Lily sighed as she watched the owl fly away. She really, truly missed her parents. As she skipped down the steps of the owlery, her mind drifted to the golden moments of her childhood. She smiled slightly, remembering her 11th birthday.

"Dad! There's an owl at the window," she exclaimed, pointing at the massive bird.

"Darling, would you look at that! Owls don't normally come around here," Gael said in amazement as he looked at the bird.

"Remember they used to come all the time in Newcastle," Lily said as she continued to gaze at the bird. "Why can't we go back there dad? I liked it there."

Gael's wondrous smile dropped slightly.

"The people didn't like us there, darling, but they like us here. And besides, you love the garden here don't you?" Gael said with a sad smile.

"I do! I do love the garden! I love my roses and carnations!" Lily exclaimed, forgetting about what she had asked earlier. 

"Well that's good and oh ..." Gael said as he looked up, spying Pierre with her birthday cake. Pierre proceeded to walk in slowly, singing "Joyeux Anniversaire" whilst Gael sang "Happy Birthday". To anyone else, it would have sounded out of tune and slightly inaudible, but to Lily, it sounded like magic and birthdays and everything good. 

"Make a wish, Cherie!" Pierre urged as Lily closed her eyes and thought and thought and thought. Lily, with a mighty blow, blew out all 11 candles. 

"And happy new year's day!" she exclaimed, looking at some of the leftover confetti from the night before. 

Gael popped open a bottle of wine and poured a glass for him and Pierre, kissing his cheek as he handed Pierre the glass.