Chapter 36

There's a comfortable silence on the ride home. We only speak when I'm giving him directions to my house. As we drive past my hometown, my stomach gives me weird feelings. I miss this place so much. All the memories I've created with my Dad here is incredible.

"We're here," I tell Dimitri and point at the small house that's on the right to us.

He pulls up into our driveway and gets out. I get out a minute after him and lock us inside the house. Even more, memories come rushing back to me, as I see the photos hanging on the walls.

"So what do you think?" I ask Dimitri jokingly, as I spread my arms out like I'm showing him the house.

"It is... homely," he says and walks around to investigate more.

"Homely?" I ask him. Is that all he has to say about it?

"Oh, do not take it as a negative thing. Homely is a good thing in my opinion."

I nod at him and lead him into my father's room. It's very simple, just a bed and a closet. At least my room has a bit more... personality.

I grab a few comfortable shirts, some underwear, and two pairs of jogging pants for him. I'm not sure when he's allowed to get out of the hospital gown, but since the nurse asked us to get this, it must be okay now.

As I sip the bag, I look up to tell Dimitri that we can go now, but he's nowhere in sight. I sigh, as I walk out of my father's room and walk into my own bedroom. I figure it's the only logical place Dimitri would go.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask him a small smile tugging at my lips. It's weird seeing such a "bad boy" in my childhood bedroom.

Dimitri ignores my question, but says instead, "Is it always this tidy, or is it because you are not living here at the moment?"

"Ha, believe me, it isn't always this tidy. It usually looks like a bomb has exploded in here, but I cleaned it up before I left for college, so my Dad didn't have to look at it."

"Fair enough."

"So, you ready to go?" I ask him, just as he sits down on my small bed.

"Nah, I could use a nap. Looks like you could use one too," he says and lays himself all the way down.

"Dimitri, first of all, I have to get back to the hospital, and second, I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to. I'm way too anxious," I tell him seriously.

Dimitri lifts his head so he can look at me. "Ruby, the tests are not going to be back before another hour or two. We cannot just sit next to your Dad for that long and not know what is going on. Here, I can at least take a short nap so I can focus on you and your Dad later. I am honestly exhausted from the drive here," he says.

I quickly contemplate what he is saying and I mean, he's not entirely wrong. Plus, I still feel bad for forcing him out of bed at 3 AM and driving me 7 hours here.

I sigh before saying, "But it doesn't change the fact that I can't sleep."

"Then just lay with me," he says and scoots over in my tiny one-persons-bed.

I do as he tells me, and lay myself down beside him. Some awkward minutes go by, before Dimitri says, "Come here," and pulls me into him. I sigh out in relief and snuggle closer to him. It feels like we never even had a fight, and right now, I think I'm letting myself forget it. For now at least. As soon as my Dad is okay and I'm back on campus, Dimitri and I will have to have a real talk. And to be honest, I'm dreading it. I'm afraid he will distance himself from me again.

I soon feel my eyes droop and I'm afraid that I'll oversleep.

"Promise to wake me up in an hour?" I mumble and ask Dimitri.

"Promise," he says and gives my forehead a small peck. I sigh out in contentment and let the sleep overtake me.

*****

"Ruby, you have to wake up," a familiar voice whispers to me.

I don't respond, hoping that I can sleep longer, but as soon as I remember the events of everything that has happened, I shoot up. I nearly dunk my head into Dimitri's, but he's fast and dodges it with ease.

"What time is it?" I ask him as I rush out of bed. Dimitri's hand grabs my elbow and stops me.

"Ruby, you only slept for 45 minutes. We are not in a hurry. Please, slow down before you break something," he tells me.

I sigh out in relief and give him a small peck on the lips as a thank you before I remember we aren't actually together at the moment. "Shit, sorry. I- I just did that out of habit," I tell him embarrassed.

He chuckles at me and leans down to my height before he grabs me by my neck and gives me a giant smush on the lips.

"Sorry, I did it out of habit," he mocks me and walks away, leaving me standing shocked.

I snap out of it and grab the bag I've packed for my Dad, and not soon after, Dimitri and I are on our way to the hospital again.

"Did you get any sleep?" I ask him.

"Yeah, a little."

"Good."

When we arrive at the hospital, we walk directly into my Dad's room, now that we know where it is. I take a seat on the chair next to his bed. Dimitri takes a seat on a chair in the corner of the room. Only ten minutes after we've arrived, a middle-aged man walks into the room in a white coat. He must be my Dad's doctor.

"The results have arrived," he tells us.