f i v e

Ember

    I SILENTLY CREEP DOWN THE LONG FOYER, CAREFUL TO NOT MAKE ANY NOISE. I open the kitchen door quietly and reach into the large duffel bag I brought and fish out the note I left for Claire. My fingers grasp the folded paper and I pull it out. I stare at it in the dark kitchen, the only light coming through the windows from the street lamps. I can see perfectly fine, I'm pretty sure it's one of my gifts, darkness never seems dark to me. Light tends to make me cringe, Lokas used to tease that I was a vampire, I told him to piss off and stop reading children's stories.

    I place the folded paper on the counter where I sat only a couple of hours ago and creep out of the kitchen. I peer down the foyer and make my way to the stairs, I slowly walk up to them and pause at the landing.

    I don't know what room he's in, shit, I should've asked. We'll waste time with me walking aimlessly looking for his room. I sigh through my nose and walk to the first guest bedroom. Minette has about a dozen guest rooms. She has the master for herself and a room beside it for Claire. The rest of us Bastards tend to spend a lot of time here, we all have our own room. I slowly walk up to the white wooden door and peel it open. It's the only guest room I haven't been in, I really hope he's in there. I creep in and close the door silently behind me.

He's in here, he's on his side facing away from me. His blonde curls are all I can see. He's sprawled out across the king-sized bed.

The room is a replica of every other guest room, a large king-sized bed, white walls with golden flowers on them. The floor is white marble, with hints of gold in it to match the walls. The only thing different about the rooms is the sheets. Minette gets them different colours for each of us. Mine is a pretty maroon colour. Royal's sheets are ice blue. They remind me of my eyes. They could be identical.

There are two bedside tables on either side of the bed and a small lamp sits on both tables. The one closest to Royal's sleeping body has a white alarm clock. A large armoire and dresser are straight across from the bed. The armoire door is slightly ajar, I can see some clothes hung up on hangers. My eyes shift back to Royal.

    I almost gawk at him, for such a piggy eater, he's a quiet sleeper. He looks so utterly peaceful that it scares me. I've never seen someone look this serene before. His massive muscled body is curled up on the side of the bed facing away from me. His blonde locks stand out in the dark room. I tiptoe up to his side, I finally get a good look at his face. His curls are everywhere, I brush them from his eyes. I like him like this. Quiet. The sheets are pulled up to his waist and I gaze at his chest. His chest. Gods, I thought he was muscled before . . . but his chest. It's sculpted to perfection. His chest is golden and toned, I think I may be drooling. I shut my mouth firmly and shake my head.

    Focus Ember.

    Stop getting distracted.

I put a hand on his shoulder and shake him gently. He stirs and rolls onto his back, I shake him again and he groans. I clasp my hand to his mouth to keep him from waking Claire up. His eyes jerk open, I feel two strong hands on my waist, and before I have time to react he flips me onto the bed. He pins me underneath him, if this was anyone else I would've killed them by now . . . but with Royal this close to me I can't even move. His eyes trap me underneath him. They burn as he frantically looks at me. Squinting a bit. Shit. He can't see me.

Suddenly he pulls a knife out of nowhere and angles it to my throat. I don't fight him as he presses it against my bare neck. My mind is swimming with thoughts, I haven't had someone this close to me in a while.

When I get really sad about Lokas I go to bars and find the first man to look at me and have him take me right in the bathroom. Trying to do anything to get my mind to stop thinking about Loke. Royal isn't like the other men I've been with. He's good looking, well, that's an understatement, he's beautiful. But he's different. There is something about him that intrigues me and pisses me off. I can't deny I'm attracted to him. But that's all it is. He's pretty and I could use someone to help me take off the edge.