Privileges and Responsibilities

Lucas gulped as he heard the auditorium explode in surprise. He froze in place, fearing that they would all laugh once he stepped on stage. He felt a gentle but firm hand push him forward. He walked to Eric, trying to stiffen his legs so that he didn't fall on the way. When he reached Eric's side, he glanced around to see that the rest of the S-Class students had spread out on either side of Eric. He looked at the crowd and made eye contact with Louis who gave him a thumbs up. Lucas smiled gratefully before bowing to the crowd.

"My name is Lucas Heartfilia. I'm honored to have the opportunity to have a position in the S-Class. I promise to do my best to uphold the S-Class reputation." He said before straightening up. There was a slight silence before someone started clapping. It started slowly but it spread like wildfire through the crowd. Everyone was talking to each other, speculating what talent got him into the S-Class. Once they had calmed down, Eric cleared his throat to get everyone's attention.

"I assume, then, that there are no objections?" He asked, his brown eyes raking over the crowd.

"Of course not. He's cute!" A voice called out, causing people to either laugh or murmur in agreement. He blushed at the comment and knew that his face had turned as red as Eric's hair. Eric smiled at the comment himself before talking again.

"Good. Then starting today, Lucas Heartfilia is officially part of the S-Class students." He announced before walking off the stage. Lexi and Mason flanked him, everyone else following close behind.

"Nessa, Grace. Can you guys explain everything to Lucas?" Eric asked, shooting a glance at the two girls. Grace fidgeted with the silver lining on her short icy blue dress.

"Do I have to do it with her?" Nessa asked, looking disgruntled.

"Let me do it instead of Grace!" Jackson called out. "I don't want her to be with another guy."

"I don't want to work with you either." Grace shot back at Nessa, Jackson's comments going unheard.

"Girls..." Eric's eyes glinted as he radiated a dangerous aura. Nessa and Grace both stiffened before nodding in agreement.

"Good! We'll see you guys later." Eric left the room, followed by Junelle. The rest of the S-Class students dispersed, leaving Lucas alone with Nessa and Grace.

"What exactly do you need to explain to me?" Lucas asked, tilting his head with curiosity. Nessa and Grace stopped glaring at each other to respond.

"The first thing is that there's a hierarchy within the S-Class students." Nessa started.

"Eric, Mason, Lexi, Junelle, Gia, Jackson, Nessa, me, Cyrus, and finally, you." Grace quickly listed as they also left the auditorium, flipping her long hair over her shoulder.

"How is the hierarchy decided?" Lucas asked.

"A lot of things. Seniority, grades, profits." Grace explained.

"Ability to come to meetings sober." Nessa joked. Grace smiled in amusement.

"Yeah Cyrus would be a higher rank if he just controlled his day drinking." She said. Lucas chuckled, not at all surprised that that was what was holding Cyrus back.

"Wait..." Lucas stopped in his tracks and went pale. Grace and Nessa stopped with him and looked back in concern.

"What's wrong?" Nessa asked.

"Does everyone now know I'm L.H. then?" He asked, feeling the panic threaten to overwhelm him. He heard the click clacks of Nessa's black heels on the tile before feeling her hand on his shoulder.

"No. As of right now, everyone probably assumes it's because of your family background and the fact that you're the first freshman to join in years." Nessa said softly. Lucas let out a sigh of relief and felt himself relax.