Chapter Twenty Seven

"Answer my call, Elois," Ian says, and his silver cross necklace glows brightly, forming the shape of a large scythe

As the prince walks forward, Raiden, Nathan, Sunshine, and even Raia widen their eyes. Raia can see his hands trembling as he grips his weapon, despite his determined expression. The scythe is black with gray trim, and its large curved blade glints in the light of the chandelier. It emits a dark flame that dances like shadows.

He's being influenced by his emotions, but he's still having doubts, Raia thinks as she scrutinizes him.

Of course, he should be. Ian knows nothing about purifying a corrupted soul and lacks the courage to do so. After all, he still hasn't awoken from the nightmare of killing his mother.

"No," Raia flat-out rejects Ian's request. With an effortless swing of her sword, she brushes aside the ball of light Katherine aimed at her as if swatting an insect.

Ian looks at her with his mouth parted, weighing a response, then averts his gaze and closes his mouth.

"Ian! W-what's going on? What are you holding . . . " Hadley's voice trails off, unable to bring herself to continue as she stares at the scythe.

"Don't be stupid," Raia tells Ian, her gaze fixed on Katherine.

Sunshine fires an arrow at Katherine, but it ricochets off her and fades away. The demon, still standing and unharmed, tilts her head.

"Without the angel's guidance this time," Raia continues, "you're nothing more than a clueless human."

Ian grits his teeth in frustration, unable to make a remark.

"So stay there and don't get in our way," Raia adds. She seals off her Blessing, and the long silver blade reappears, surrounded by purple flames that reflect in her eyes. Raia can't afford to wear herself out too quickly, so she must tone down Raphael and reduce the mana it feeds on her. After all, a released Blessing is too draining for Aragons.

The Outcast seems to to be on the verge of transitioning already. But let me check it out on my own.

With that thought, Raia kicks off the ground. Her purple hair whips behind her as she leaps upward, closing the gap between herself and Katherine. But as she swings her sword down, it collides with an invisible barrier a few inches away from the demon, and a powerful force sends her flying backward.

Nathan catches her before she hits the ground hard.

"You okay?" Nathan asks as he puts her down.

Raia clenches her teeth and glares at Katherine. Once an Outcast begins to transition, they become temporarily immune to all attacks, and their transformation cannot be interrupted.

Dammit, we're too late!

"So she's really transitioning now, that's why we can't hit her," Raiden snarls, staring wide-eyed at Katherine, terror overtaking his features.