Chapter 48

As soon as the bus begins to move, the excitement really settles in

As soon as the bus begins to move, the excitement really settles in. I was going on a 4-day snorkeling trip with my best friend and the guy I liked with no distractions and nothing to ruin it. At least I hoped not.

I laugh as Toby goes on about the things we were going to get up to on the trip but notice Aiden being very silent beside me. I turn to Aiden and nudge him, he quickly looks up at me.

"Are you okay?" I whisper so only he can hear.

He nods hesitantly before he catches my eye; "can I ask you something and you promise not to get mad and answer truthfully?"

I look at him curiously but nod instantly.

"Are you and Dale together?" Aiden asks, something about his tone seems sad and it gives me the smallest glimmer of hope but it's probably just wishful thinking.

"No," I answer quickly, wondering why he thought I'd be mad at that question.

"Well do you like him?" Aiden pushes.

"No, I promise I don't. He's nothing but my best friend. Besides, I'm not really his type," I reply, trying to convince him that I was available and wanted to be with him only.

"You keep saying you're not his type and I can't figure out why," Aiden smiles, visibly a lot happier than earlier. I laugh at his comment.

"He into blondes or something?" Aiden jokes.

"Something like that," I laugh back.

"Did you guys here that we are only 1 of 3 schools going on the trip?!" Charlie says excitedly, successfully breaking us away from our present conversation. Something tells me Charlie heard parts of it and purposely changed the subject and I was forever grateful for it, "Maybe I can find a hot guy for Em," she finishes grinning.

"The only guys you ladies need in your life is me," Blake grins charmingly.

"What about me?! Mills would totally be lost without me!!" Toby interjects.

"I have to agree," I joke. Toby obviously doesn't register the joke in my voice and looks at Blake triumphantly. I can't help but laugh.

"Mills you have to help me find Carter a girlfriend. He's getting too clingy," Toby grins.

"Hey!!" Carter laughs.

"I promise I'll do my best!!" I laugh, Carter smiles at me.

"I'm keen to meet all the girls from the other schools," Aiden smirks from beside me. My heart sinks. I can't believe I thought for even a second that my feelings would be returned. I notice Charlie throw me a sympathetic look when no one is watching and I smile at her as best I can. I had to get used to the idea of Aiden with other girls, I was his friend and it seemed like that's all I would ever be.

Toby rolls his eyes at Aiden's comment and it cheers me up a little, he was getting annoyed by all Aidens one night stands as well.

Suddenly a new feeling sparks inside of me and I look at Charlie confidently; "You know Charlie, maybe I will find a hot guy, football players always kind of did it for me."