Chapter 7 Court Meeting

"Your Imperial Majesty!"

Just as Ye An and Xi Chen stepped into the East Palace, the grand eunuch came running towards both of them and gave them a deep bow. 

As was instructed by the Empress Mother all those years ago, all of the servants attending to Ye An directly had always been mute and illiterate, except for the elderly grand eunuch. He had served Ye An's father and his father before that. 

"The Northern border has been attacked!" The grand eunuch reported breathlessly.

"Yes, I've heard. Send word to the court officials that the court meeting has been pushed forward. I want them at the Throne Hall in an hour." Ye An instructed the grand eunuch.

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty. I understand." With that, the grand eunuch gave Ye An yet another bow and retreated to complete his task.

Ye An then entered her residence to change while Xi Chen stood guard outside. While standing guard outside, Xi Chen mulled over the memory that had resurfaced after all these years. He looked up into the clear sky and sighed, his heart heavy.

*******

When Ye An finally came out in her formal attire and beaded crown, she caught a glimpse of Xi Chen looking pensively at the sky and instantly felt like she had accidentally interrupted a private moment. She cleared her throat, preparing to speak. Xi Chen turned to the young emperor immediately and bowed, "Your Imperial Majesty."

"The first task that I am officially giving you is to accompany me to the court meeting. And be my messenger." Ye An hated the fact that she had to lift her head up to look at him.

Xi Chen was befuddled by the emperor's request. The part where the emperor wanted his company at the court meeting was understandable. The emperor was still young and new to his role, he might have just wanted a military insight from him. However, Xi Chen had never heard of any emperor in history who spoke through a messenger, especially in a court meeting.

"Forgive me, Your Imperial Majesty. But won't you be present at the meeting as well?" Xi Chen voiced his confusion.

"Of course I will be at the meeting, Lieutenant Yun." Ye An replied stiffly.

"Then.. May I know why am I needed as a messenger?" Xi Chen asked gently.

Good lord. This man had a lot of questions. Ye An knew that the lieutenant had lived all his life in the northern region and she had heard of how people from there were generally next to clueless about protocols and formalities. But she had never expected someone of his ranking to act similarly.

"It's so that no one recognizes my voice. It's a safety protocol to prevent the same thing that happened twenty-two years ago from happening again." Ye An shifted uncomfortably in her feet at that half-truth.

Xi Chen, being the military man that he was, noticed the slight change in the emperor's disposition but decided not to push further into the matter. He heard rumors of what had happened twenty-two years ago at the Imperial Palace but since he was too young when it happened and everyone else seemed to want to put that incident in the past, he didn't know much about the details and wasn't about to probe into it now. "Shall we go then, Your Imperial Majesty?"