Part 21: How's Elliot?

"So, how was your date with Blair yesterday?"

I raise my eyebrows at Jillian. She feigns innocence. 

"What? Am I a horrible person for asking my best friend about his date?"

I roll my eyes. "It was good-"

"Just good?"

I sigh in exasperation. "It was great, anytime I'm with Blair it's amazing and you know that. Now stop trying to distract me."

"What are you talking about?"

I smirk widely. "How's Elliot?"

Her face goes red. I burst out laughing. She tackles me onto my back (fortunately, we're sitting on the couch in her basement, so it's a short fall onto a cushy surface). "THEODORE SAMUEL!"

"What?" I somehow manage to ask through my laughter.

"It's not like that and you know it," she tells me sternly.

"Do I really?" I prop myself up on my elbows to continue smirking at her. "You spend the entire day FaceTiming your crush over which you flirt with each other relentlessly until he has work and then he says that you guys should 'hang out' sometime?"

"Because WiFi is unreliable," she insists.

"Oh, yeah, so it's definitely not a date," I deadpan.

"It's not!"

"It is, though! Have you explicitly stated that you're going to be hanging out as friends?"

She blushes and averts her gaze. "Well..."

"Exactly. It's a date."

"But we also haven't explicitly stated that we're not going to be hanging out as friends. There's no way to tell either way."

"Jilly, when two people like each other, neither of them will mention anything about being friends. You don't deny liking someone until you have reason to believe that they're not interested. So if neither of you have said anything about being friends, then that means you like each other and this is probably a date."

"But wouldn't he want to be very clear about it if it was a date?"

"Stop questioning me! I'm always right."

She rolls her eyes. "Whatever. So, are we going to do a movie marathon, or do you want to do something else since you had an actual, confirmed, date at the movies yesterday?"

I roll my eyes right back at her. "I'm fine for movies. Let's go get snacks."

Her eyes widen. "But... Elliot's working right now." 

"So?"

"I don't want him to think I'm clingy."

"So we can go through a different checkout."

"But he'll probably still see me. And then he'll think I'm avoiding him or something."

"You're overthinking things. We've shown up at the grocery store when he's working every weekend since he started working there because you thought he was cute."

"I still think he's cute." 

"Exactly. So where's the problem?"

She huffs. "I don't want him to think I'm obsessed with him!"

"Jillian. He works at a grocery store. Grocery stores have food. Food is a necessity. Especially on the weekends when we're going to have a movie marathon and need snacks. If he thinks you're obsessed with him because you happen to need snacks on the weekend, the international two days of freedom and fun, then he's a narcissist."