Chapter 37

"There hasn't been any serious damage to your Dad's head. That also means that we can wake him up now," the doctor tells us.

I sigh out in relief and my whole body relaxes. This is the best news I've heard in a long time. Before I can thank the doctor, Dimitri interrupts.

"What do you mean by 'There has not been any serious damage?' Are you telling me that there is some damage to his brain?" Dimitri asks the doctor. I hadn't even realized that, so I couldn't be happier for Dimitri to be here.

"Well, he may have some problems using his left hand when he wakes up, but it will either fade away by itself or he will go to rehab for it. It's nothing that can't be fixed," the doctor says.

Next to me, I can finally feel Dimitri relax. Even though he won't admit it, I know he's been worried sick.

"Thank you," Dimitri tells the doctor and shakes his hand.

"Of course, now I will have the nurse come in and take him out of the medical coma. It may take a while for him to wake up since his body is tired. You just gotta have patience, alright."

The doctor leaves the room and I sit down on a chair. Tears well up in my eyes, the only difference is, these are happy tears. I am so fuckin' relieved, it can't even be described.

"You okay?" Dimitri asks me and sits down in a chair next to me.

I nod my head and lean into his side.

"Told you we should have brought a book for him," I chuckle as the tears slowly fall down.

"Already one step ahead of you," he tells me and walks over to my Dad's bag. He sips the bag up and pulls out my Dad's favorite book.

"Why did you bring it? I thought you sai-" I start, but get cut off by Dimitri.

"Well, I only said that for you not to be too hopeful. But I knew that homeboy would pull through... Besides he would never leave you in the hands of me," he jokes.

I chuckle as I look into his eyes. I didn't think I could be more in love with this person, but then he does shit like this and proves me wrong.

"How did you even know that that was my Dad's favorite book?" I ask him.

"I can see it by the way it is torn. He must have used it a lot, meaning he likes it."

I look at him shocked.

"What can I say... I go by Sherlock now," he jokes again. The entire mood has been changed entirely, but not for the worse.

"Hi, I must ask you to leave the room while I take your Dad out of the medical coma, please," a nurse says, popping out of nowhere

"Yeah, of course," I say and pull Dimitri out with me.

We walk down the hallway to a small vending machine. I buy a chocolate bar for Dimitri and me as we wait.

"Thank you," I suddenly say out of nowhere, as we stand there chewing on our bars.

"For what?" Dimitri asks me, confused.

"For driving me here, for being there for me, for being willing to work on this thing we have between us, for everything," I tell him.

"I would not have done it any other way," he tells me sincerely.

We stand out here for a couple of minutes before the nurse lets us know that we can go back in. When I step inside the room, it feels like nothing has changed. My father's still asleep. I can't see the difference between sleep and to be in a medical coma apparently.

*****

It's been 2 hours and Dimitri is sitting half-asleep in the corner of the room, while I'm sitting next to my Dad on a chair.

"I love you, Dad," I whisper to him for the 12th time, but something's different. My Dad's right hand is twitching. Does this mean that he's waking up?

I whisper-yell at Dimitri and wake him up. And just as he opens an eye, my Dad opens his.

"Dad?" I shriek.

"Hi, honey," he says with a raspy voice.

Dimitri gets up and walks slowly and awkwardly towards the bed. "I am going to give you two some alone time," he tells us, but my Dad stops him.

"Come here for a moment, Dimitri," he says.

I am already laying in my Dad's arms, hugging him to death 'cause I've been so worried. And as Dimitri now stands directly next to my Dad, my Dad takes him by surprise and pulls him down for a hug, so we're now group hugging.

"Thank you for taking care of her," my Dad whispers to Dimitri, thinking I'm deaf and can't hear him.

"Always, sir," Dimitri nods acknowledging to him, before leaving the room leaving my Dad and I alone.

"I've been so worried!" I tell him. All my emotions are mixed and I'm feeling all kinds of things.

"I know honey, I know," he tells me.

"You've been eating too much fast food, that's the problem. We're going to meet up with a dietist and get you some real food, so this won't happen again. Is that made clear?" I ask him, sounding like I'm his mom.

"Yes, it's clear. Now, tell me, why is Dimitri here?" He asks me. My Dad's always been the snoopy, curious type.

I sigh out in satisfaction of having my Dad back. I tell him everything that happened from the night I got the call to now, knowing he won't sleep if he doesn't know all the details.