prologue

The day that Alicia Way had been dreading came as quickly as someone would possibly imagine. Well, one would say that she had been dreading it. No one knew, really, what was going on in that mind of hers. Maybe she was looking forward to it, therefore canceling out the meaning of the word 'dreading'. Really, she didn't know how she felt about it, and what was to come.

It was a sunny evening, the temperature quite normal for a warm summer day, the clouds migrating back and forth across the sky, creating shapes, spreading the wind across the small town in the outskirts of Paris, France. The sun was starting to set, creating streaks of pink and blue in the sky.

Inside a rather small brown house, a black car parked in the gravely driveway, Alicia Way and her daughter Cherry sat in the living room, one finishing up her math homework and one replying to emails on her laptop. Her work had been bothering her lately, with them constantly shoving new problems down her throat, the clients not cooperating with the deals she made.

But everything was well, and everything was just fine and normal. It had been just like any other day, with Cherilyn wrapping up her school year with some last minute math work for her exams at school.

Cherilyn Way seemed like a normal child. Eleven years old, one of the smartest at her elementary school, living a normal life. I guess the only thing out of the ordinary with it was the absence of her father, whom she has never met herself.

Her mum didn't like talking about it much, seeing as though their divorce wasn't exactly clean. Cherry knew little about her biological father, and to be quite honest, she was a bit curious from time to time. But whenever she asked her mother a question regarding her father, she shut it down immediately, not even attempting to hear out the child.

She didn't know that her father was a wizard, one of the best, actually, and he of course had no idea that she even existed. If he did, maybe he wouldn't have left his wife, Alicia, so quickly. Perhaps he may even come back, just for the sake of their daughter. Mikey was what some people could call a coward. Not wanting to face the struggles of a relationship, so he just let it go completely.

But of course, that wasn't the case, and Mikey was gone, living another life with his new wife, Kristin. Alicia was clearly heartbroken about it, left with the baby growing slowly inside of her stomach.

Alicia had just figured that he was no longer the right person for her, if he had ever been. Sure, they had loved, they have lived, but she reckoned it was time to move on from him.

She had always known that someday, when her daughter turned eleven, that a letter would arrive in the mail by an owl. A letter, that letter, that letter would be asking Cherilyn to go to a school, Beauxbatons school of Magic.

The small family lived on the outskirts of Paris, and even though they lived in France, Cherry was fluent in both French and English. She picked up old British habits from Alicia, who had gotten them from Mikey, when they were still together. Mikey had obviously told her about the wizarding school that he went to, Hogwarts, and that one day they might have a daughter who would go to the same school as he once did.

Alicia was frightened, angered, and mostly confused, acting out of fear. She had freaked out, quite a bit, stirred up some ruckus, but then she carefully tried to mend their relationship back together. She had accepted that her husband, the man that she had fallen so deeply in love with, was a wizard, a human with magical traits.

But by then, she had almost lost him completely. One day he left without a word, and she reckoned that was the last that she'd ever hear from him again. She blamed herself for a while, then him, then both of them, but she'd eventually made peace with the whole ordeal.

They were quite young, getting married at twenty one, and he left her nearly two years later, without even having any sort of knowledge of what was growing inside of his heart broken ex wife's stomach.

Beauxbatons was the closest wizarding school near them, so surely her daughter would get invited? After all, she was top of her class, smart, absolutely brilliant. And she was right.

But it was Sunday after all, and anyone would tell you that there was no post on Sundays. But in that one dusky afternoon, an owl swept by their house and dropped a letter onto Cherry's front doorstep...

~~