Chapter One - The Letter

Today was just like any other.

I sat under the big willow tree in my backyard, book in hand.

Although it was nearing the end of July, today was surprisingly warm.

A soft breeze blew through the leaves of the tree, making the scene even calmer than it had been before.

It was the middle of the afternoon and I was nearing the end of the latest book I had been reading; The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket.

A very good book, wonderfully written, nice pacing. It had only taken me a day to read it. It wasn't a long book, so a few hours outside and I had finished the book.

During the summer, the only thing I really did was read. I was only eleven but I would spend hours under my family's big willow tree, only going inside to eat. I was constantly buying new books to read and I would read almost anything.

My parents had been surprised the first couple of times I had said I didn't want to play with the neighborhood kids, that I would rather be reading. At this point, my parents didn't ask me anymore. They simply let me do what I wanted; I was outside after all.

I closed the book, already excited to read the next book in the series.

I stood up and tucked my book under my arm. I headed for the back door of the nice little suburban house I lived in.

As I opened the back door, I saw my mother preparing dinner.

"Hi sweetheart. How's the book?"

"Finished and it was so good. Maybe even better than the last one."

"New book soon then?"

"Yup. Would you mind if I took a trip up to the bookstore after dinner?"

"Not at all. I'll lend you some money, if you need it."

I did, in fact, not need money. I still had money left over from my birthday. "I'll be alright." I removed my shoes and placed them neatly by the door. "I'll be right back, I'm going to go put my book away."

I headed upstairs towards my room. Unlike most kids my age, I had a bookshelf in my own room with books that I had purchased all  by myself.

I opened the door to my room, doing my best to keep my mind off my bedside table.

I set the book down, right next to the other books in the series.

I was just about to leave the room, when the letter tugged at the back of my mind.

I have to tell them.

I opened up my bedside table drawer and pulled out the letter.

The wax seal that had held it closed was broken, and the letter inside the envelope had been read, although not shared with anyone.

I had been confused when I had received the letter on my birthday. I had expected cards from family members who lived out of the country or just lived too far away to visit me, but I hadn't expected a letter like this.

One that stated that I had been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I had never applied and my parents hadn't said anything about sending me anywhere.

Yet I had still received this mysterious letter. I only had a few more days or so to respond.

So my parents had to know.

I tucked the letter into the back pocket of my jeans, and made my way back downstairs.

The table had been set and my parents had both begun eating. A plate was seated across from my parents and I took my seat.

I began eating my dinner in silence with the rest of the family; this was quite normal for my family dinners.

But tonight, there would be no silence.

"I've been accepted at Hogwarts."

My mom stared for a moment, a look of confusion on her face. My father on the other hand, seemingly choked on the water he was drinking.

"I'm not quite sure what it is, but it seems like a well revered school so I'd like to attend."

"Well I don't see why not. That sounds quite exciting." My mother said.

"Darling, could I have you repeat the school's name one more time?" My father said, still trying not to choke.

"Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." I stated matter of factly. My father went pale, and seemed to snap out of reality.

He quickly tuned back in and spoke. "Violet dear, could you excuse yourself for a moment?" My father said.

"But Aleister-" My mother said.

"Dear. I'd like a moment with our daughter."

My mother confusingly excused herself from the table, leaving her unfinished plate on the table as she headed into the next room.

My father turned to me. "Are you quite sure you want to go to Hogwarts? It's a boarding school after all, and you'll only come home during summers and holidays."

"It is? I didn't know that." I thought for a moment.

"It's not an ordinary school either. I quite honestly didn't think you were a witch. Your mother is a Muggle and your letter didn't come on your birthday, or so I thought." Her father's face was then filled with fear. "The letter! If you don't respond within the next few days, you won't even be eligible to go. And your books! We need to send a response letter as soon as possible. We'll go to Diagon Alley within the next few days as well and-"

"Dad!" I interrupted my fathers rambling. "Witch? Muggle? Diagon Alley? What exactly is Hogwarts? I figured the name was just for show, you're not telling me they actually train young witches and wizards, are you? Magic isn't real." My face shifted from confused to fascinated. "Right?"

"I'm afraid you're wrong there dear. I'm a wizard myself actually. I just never told your mother because you seemed to be a Muggle, so I figured I'd let it go. Besides, letting you lead a 'normal' life seemed to be the best thing for our family."

"I'm a witch?!"

"It appears so. And if you'd really like to attend Hogwarts, I'd be happy to help you with supplies and settling in."

"Me? A witch?"

"Yes."

"You're kidding."

"I'm not."

I sat for a minute. Thinking over the information my dad had just dumped on me. I was a witch. I was going to attend a school with other witches and wizards. I was shocked, but who wouldn't be. I was excited as well.

"Can we write the response now?"

"That's my girl."