chapter fifty three

It had been months, I wasn't sure exactly how many, since we left the burrow. So many things had happened and yet it felt like time was going ridiculously slow.

We spent a few nights at Grimmauld Place. It was a mess and had clearly been unoccupied for a while however Harry took it as an opportunity to explore rooms he wasn't allowed to when we were under Weasley supervision.

He found Sirius' old room, which made us both slightly emotional. He then discovered a room with 'R.A.B' on the door. Harry explained to me how this was Sirius' brother, Regulus Black, and therefore my uncle.

We all had to sleep in one room when staying at Grimmauld Place, Hermione and I on one sofa each whilst Ron and Harry slept on the floor. I hadn't been able to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time without waking up in a cold sweat forgetting where we were and what was going on.

I had felt numb for a while. Draco felt like a distant memory that I had made up in my head, but I would never forget his icy grey eyes or his deep morning voice or his cold but comforting skin. I knew I was only hurting myself by thinking of him so often, but I couldn't help it.

Every night when we would attempt to sleep, I would try so hard to remember how it felt to be wrapped in his arms. His soft breath humming in his hear and his beating heart pressing against my skin. It was the only thing that sparked a small piece of serotonin in my mind.

However, that small token of happiness didn't last very long for every time I eventually fluttered my heavy eyes closed, dark images poisoned my dreams. Convincing me that terrible things were happening to Draco and his family.

I was humiliated the first time it happened in front of Hermione and Harry.

"Amelia, wake up." Ron mumbled in a soft tone whilst shaking my shoulder gently. He'd become accustomed to situations like this now.

I sat up quickly, breathing heavily. I was completely flustered as Ron looked down at me and mustered a pathetic attempt at a smile. I turned my head to the right to see Hermione's eyebrows furrowed. Herself and Harry exchanged a confused look before returning to my gaze.

"I-I'm sorry." I muttered, completely embarrassed knowing I must have been calling out Draco's name in my sleep.

"It's alright," Ron began. "Isn't it?" He turned to the other two, who nodded their heads unconvincingly.

Months later, they unfortunately still had to deal with the same thing.

We had been travelling for months on end as we would settle for a small time in the tent Hermione brough along with her but then would have to continue moving on.

I had learnt a lot about the things the three of them kept from me all my life. Horcruxes, death eaters, Voldemort – everything. I'd like to say I was regaining friendship with Hermione and Harry however we were all so run down and numb that it was hard to show any type of emotion anymore. I wasn't much help with the Horcrux hunting but I had definitely improved and shown my strength to Harry who had doubted me previously.

Ron was acting strange, snapping at everything Harry or Hermione said to him. Harry explained to me that it was because he wouldn't take the horcrux off, but I know there was something more, something deeper.

I knew he was angry, but I didn't expect him to leave me like he did.

I had finally managed to get to sleep peacefully, but when I awoke Ron was nowhere to be seen.

I rubbed my tired eyes before sitting up and taking in my surroundings, Harry was scribbling recklessly into a notebook whilst Hermione boiled waiter on the makeshift camping stove she had.