Hostile Newcomers

The howling pit, a natural cave expanded by the thorns of judgement. Most of it is simply flooded with perpetually murky water, insect like lost and the faint light from a fracture that opens to the sky.

Luca pulls a rusty lever and lights a fire near a mistle, Louis and (Y/N) stare at the misty, swamp like terrain the group has to cross and Yakumo...

Yakumo snacks on his homemade j̴̡̯̙̀e̸͎̰̐ľ̷͚͔̲́ḽ̷̪̇̕y̴͕͚͊̾̊ͅ-̸̨͚̒̈̚͜f̵̬͖̼̿̌i̵͔͕̅͜l̴͓̗͙̆̂͋l̶̡͔̝̾̃͊é̶̘̘͙̀d̴̳͇͂̎͘ ̷̤͖̀͒d̴̟͉͌o̶̤̩̱͆́u̵̖̩̼̍̕g̵̙̺͗̈̌h̴̢̹͉͘t̸̼̩͂͛n̵̠̅ǔ̶̘t̵̘͐s̷̟͘͝— onigiri.

(Y/N): So the spring is on the other side of this dark, misty and possibly lost filled underground marsh?

Louis: Yes. There is some high ground between here and there, though not a lot of it is convenient for our path.

Yakumo: The lift is right back there if you want to back out.

(Y/N) stares back at Yakumo, who was up until now sharing amazing onigiri facts with Luca.

(Y/N): This little trip will be much easier than watching you and Luca jump down that hole and plummet to your deaths for fifteen minutes straight.

Yakumo: We are grown adults, don't try to shame us on our lack of parkour prowess.

Luca: T-those platforms were really small too, there's no shame in falling from that.

Louis: We should get going before we overextend this expedition too.

With nods of approval from the rest of the group, they set off into the wet environment to reach their weird white tree.

Yakumo: We could have a nice, scary atmosphere if you listened to my story. But nooo, wait for halloween.

Luca: Are you still on about that?

Yakumo: Of course I am! Even Louis abandoned me, the betrayal!

Louis: I just though it would have better impact during the right season. If you tell scary stories during the holiday you sound joyous instead of... childish.

Louis' words hit Yakumo like an arrow to the heart, the gentle giant audibly gasps and looks at his friend as if Louis had called his cooking mediocre. The eyes of an utterly disappointed and defeated man.

Yakumo: You called me childish... that hurts in so many levels I never expected it to.

(Y/N): I disagree, worrying about some folklore while wading in knee deep sewage is the most adult thing I've heard out of Yakumo.

Yakumo: Really? What's next, you don't like my cakes and won't drink with me?

(Y/N): On a different note, I don't hear any howls. That means no lost right?

Luca: Wasn't it the lost howl when they fight? Maybe they are just relaxing.

(Y/N): Yes, because this is optimal lounging situation. Cold water and cracked concrete seats make for the best— Whoa!

(Y/N) stumbles forward, almost falling on Yakumo's back but catching himself before hitting the ground.

Louis: You okay?

(Y/N): Yeah... I just tripped on something. Good thing I didn't fall face first, I don't have spare clothes.

As soon as (Y/N) ended his sentence he was yanked to the side by his foot, taking a mouthfull of water on his way up. He was being held up by his foot and spat the water on his mouth, opening his eyes to find an insectoid large lost.