Identity

"You skipped school!" Stiles scolds, his arms crossed against his chest as he paces back in forth in front of my bed.

"I was bored, and to be fair so did you." I point out sheepishly.

"Ya, but- hey this is not about me! Terra it's you first day, you can't skip!"

"Malia was actually the one who took me." Stiles purses his lips in frustration, his eye twitch visible to me from my bed. "So, why did you leave?"

He points a scolding finger at me, before continuing with a sigh, "We found a lead on Derek..."

"The grumpy one?"

"Yeah..." Stiles halts pacing, running his hand through his casually spiked hair. He sits next to me on my bed, our legs brushing slightly in the process, "We have so many things going on, it's like we never have a chance to close one case before another pops up."

"What case wasn't closed yet?"

He hesitates, wringing his hands together, before turning towards me. "You, Terra, who are you?"

His warm eyes bore into my cold ones. His intense gaze catching me by surprise. Why is this boy so concerned about me? I'm nothing special. I'm nothing at all really. I quickly back up, which actually causes me to fall off the bed. I land harshly on my butt, letting out a quiet yelp. Stiles quickly rushes down to help me up. I accept his offer, allowing him to pull me off the ground.

I think I was actually loosening up, I think I'm finally ready to talk to someone about my past. Maybe not all of it, but some of it. I don't know why now though. Maybe I feel like time is running out. I can't really place my finger on it, but I know something is going to happen soon, and if I don't talk to anyone about my past I will just be washed away. Just another file in another police office.

I grab his hand and run out of my room and down the stairs, pulling him behind me. I accidentally forget that Stiles is just human so he trips on the last few steps. "Terra! Where are we going?"

I don't answer, not trusting myself to say anything that would change my mind about telling him, instead I wait for him to catch up with me before pulling him into the forest.

Stiles

Once we were in the forest Terra lets go of my hand. I watch her as she takes a deep breath of the fresh air with her eyes closed. When she opens them again her eyes instantly scan the forest. I watch her intently, trying to figure out what she was doing. Her eyes land on a large tree with lots of branches, before she grabs my hand again and pulls me to the base of the tree.

And before I know it she is climbing up the tree at an incredibly fast pace. Once she gets situated in a group of branches she gestures to me to follow her. She does realize I'm human, right?

 I groan to myself before hesitantly grabbing onto the lowest branch, I test it by putting my weight on it and shaking the branch around before using it to reach for a higher branch. I make my way up the tree at a much slower pace, testing thin branches on my way up. I try to remember the way Terra made her way up, but fail horribly when a branch a couple of inches away from Terra snaps.

I close my eyes waiting for impact, but instead a firm grip around my wrist was the only thing I feel. I slowly open my eyes to see Terra holding on to me. Her lips spread into a sly smile as she laughs quietly to herself. A warm feeling spreads through me as I watch her laugh. She then pulls me up the last few inches and waits for me to get adjusted in a similar position as her.

"So, uh, Trees, pretty tall huh?" I grumble, resisting the urge to look down. "Why here?" I groan again accidentally looking down.

She hesitates before answering, "This is where I feel the most at home,"