Chapter Four - The Sorting

"We're here." Fred shook me awake. I hadn't remembered falling asleep, but I was curled up on the seat, using my robes as a blanket.

We got off the train, I rubbed my eyes, still groggy from just waking up.

"Well this is where we split." George said sadly.

"What do you mean?" I was anxious; I didn't want to lose my only friends so soon.

"Don't worry, we'll see you in the Great Hall. But first years have to be led in as a group so they don't get lost." Fred explained. "Besides, you've got Ron. He's a first year too."

Some of my nerves wore off. At least I had a friend my age.

"First years! First years over here!" A loud voice boomed over the bustle of the train station. I looked over to see a large man, with bushy hair and a bushy beard calling out to the first years.

"Hagrid!" A small, scrawny, dark haired boy ran towards the large man, who was apparently named Hagrid. They chatted for a second while the other first years gathered around.

"Was that-" George said.

"Definitely." Fred agreed.

I looked towards the twins. They were still standing on the platform, despite the fact they could've, and probably should've, started heading towards the campus. "Who?"

"That's-" Fred began.

"First years!" Hagrid yelled again. "Let's get a move on!"

"You should get going. You don't wanna be left behind." George said.

The twins pulled me into a group hug, saying goodbye as they did.

They then walked off in the opposite direction than where Hagrid was standing, leaving me alone on the platform.

I made my way over to the big group of first years, searching around for Ron.

"Ow!" I turned around to see the small, curly brown haired girl from the train. "You stepped on my foot!" She yelled.

"I'm so sorry! I was looking for my friend. I didn't mean to step on your foot." I felt bad. Both interactions I'd had with this girl had been absolutely awful.

"It's alright. Just be more observant."

"I feel awful. First, I was disruptive on the train, and now I've stepped on your foot. What a good first impression, huh?"

The girl's eyes widened. "You're the girl who was sitting with those loud imbeciles on the train!"

"I wouldn't call them imbeciles." I giggled.

"Well either way, I've never properly met you. I'm Hermione Granger." She stuck out her hand, a smile on her face.

"I'm Y/N L/N. It's very nice to meet you. Again, so sorry for the way we met."

"It's alright. You've apologized. No reason to hold a grudge, right?"

I smiled. I was happy to find that Hermione didn't hate me. Heck, Hermione was the first girl I'd made friends with at Hogwarts. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the twins' company, I did. But having a girl my own age around would be nice.

"Alright, first years! Follow me!" Hagrid's voice boomed over the conversation that Hermione and I were having.

I stuck close to Hermione as we walked with the group. It was dark out and getting lost on my first day wasn't something I was very fond of.

As the group walked, we came to a small dock, with tons upon tons of rowboats, big enough to fit about 10 people or so, spread out in front of us.