Chapter 27 - Too Many Clues

The most worrisome part of seeing Holly was how pale she looked. Before, her spirit was vibrant and indistinguishable from a living person. Now, she was partially transparent with the color drained from her face. She was so pale in fact that Darren thought that this time she might actually be a ghost, but the small bit of pigment from her clothes reinforced that this was yet another astral projection.

Stumbling down the stairs, he stopped beside Jasper who tensed as their shoulders brushed.

"It's Holly!" Darren pointed, forgetting that they wouldn't be able to see her.

Kenny immediately turned, but when he saw nothing, he glared back. "Are you serious right now? My daughter is missing and you're playing games?!"

"No!" Darren tried to explain. "She's standing right there, or, at least her spirit is."

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" Beth snarled. "You're taking this joke too far!"

"He's telling the truth." Jasper quickly supported Darren's claim. "You already know what kind of ability he has, so if he says he see's her ghost then..." He chose not to finish that sentence and looked morosely towards Kenny. "I'm sorry."

Kenny's eyes widened as he stared back at Jasper in disbelief. Then he collapsed down onto his knees. It looked like his exhaustion, worry, and fears had hit him all at once as tears began to silently stream down his face.

Beth kneeled beside him while the Alpha stepped up to put a hand on his friend's shoulder, assuming the worst.

"She's not dead." Darren sighed. 

Beth squinted. "What do you mean, 'she's not dead?' How can you see her ghost if she's alive?"

"Because she's astral projecting." The rogue explained, keeping his eyes on the girl's form while Jasper let out a sigh of relief, having forgotten about her ability.

Slowly, he approached Holly. The little girl quickly backed away from him, though she continued to shiver violently as she clutched her body for warmth. He also noticed that her clothes looked damp.

"Hey Holly." He squatted down in front of the little girl, making himself appear as harmless as possible. "Can you tell me where you are?"

Holly opened her mouth, but no words came out. Instead, a shadow started forming behind her, and as Darren watched,  dark tendrils slithered their way around the girl's shoulders, solidifying into a pair of bony hands.

"Jared." The rogue grit, looking into the creep's sunken eyes.

Holly screamed silently, then vanished, leaving an unfazed Jared behind as he grinned towards Darren.

"Who's Jared?" Beth asked Jasper, who waved his hand to keep her quiet.

Jared started twitching violently. The monster looked like he was having some sort of seizure as his hands and neck twisted into unnatural angles, then faded away.

Darren let out a breath that he didn't know he was holding, but when he turned to explain himself to the others, he was met with Jared's grinning face just inches from his own.

"I'd hurry up if I were you." The spirit mocked. "She works quick."

And with that cryptic warning, he disappeared again.

Confused by the ghost's words, Darren spun around, making sure the creep wasn't still latched onto the ceiling or some other dark crevice. He didn't stop until he felt a hand on his shoulder, causing him to stumble backwards as he all but shit himself.

Jasper backed off immediately and waited for the smaller man to calm down. "What happened?"

"Holly's not dead." Darren repeated himself. "Wherever she is, it's cold and wet, and..." He glanced towards Kenny, who was now eyeing the rogue with interest. "And Jared's ghost is stalking her for some reason."