Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Later on that day~

I had been ignoring the feeling that has been following me around all day since I woke up this morning but now, it was as if it had gone silent. A feeling of fear had been washing over me all day that it made my stomach churn and drop as if I were on a rollercoaster.

What was going on with me? I questioned as Khalil remained quiet in my head. She was usually very talkative and hard to calm down but today, she was eerily quiet. Almost as if she were waiting for something or someone. She didn't even perk up when we met our mate this morning. Sighing, I leaned back into the couch while gently towel drying my hair and looking around my living room. The books that Dahlia had lent me had been scattered across the dark wooden coffee table while spewing onto the couch and the floor. I had been too enthralled in learning about the history of the Sacred Land that I had made a complete mess of my apartment.

"It's not too late to clean." I told myself while checking the clock on the wall that displayed 7:50pm. I stood with the determination to clean as I wrapped the towel around my head. The books that were lying about my living room were neatly piled up next to my coffee table after I made sure to bookmark my place in the ones I was reading. I went about sweeping up the floors after I loaded the washing machine. It didn't take me long to finish as I dumped the dirt into the trash bag before tying it up. Checking the time once again, I pulled the bag out of the trash can before grabbing my keys and heading to the door. Quickly slipping on a pair of sandals, I made my way into the hall before locking my door behind me. "If I can remember correctly, Dahlia said something about the dumpsters being out in front of the apartments for the east and west wing." I mumbled to myself while passing through the doors and out into the main room. I will never get over the instant change of interior.

Gently pushing the doors open, I was greeted by the cool summer night as a gentle breeze pushed past me. Though the city was a little quiet, a few groups of people were still out and about enjoying themselves. The tall streetlights were even on, illuminating the streets and the sidewalks. I quietly made my way over to where the dumpsters were before throwing my trash in.

Run. Khalil stated calmly as my heart dropped. What was she talking about? I asked myself while quickly looking around to see if there was any sign of danger before I smelled it. The faint scent of blood filled the air as the people once walking the streets had disappeared. What was going on? I quickly undid the towel on my head before making my way back to the doors of the apartment complex. No! Go towards the smell. Khalil roared as I stopped in my steps.

"Are you crazy?!" I asked while grasping the door handle before Khalil abruptly took over. Quickly turning around, she forced me towards the smell of blood. The closer we got, the stronger it became. She stopped me near the border where a large crowd stood, on edge. "What's going on?" I questioned quietly while trying to see past the crowd as the sound of an infant's cry filled the air before shortly being followed by a few growls.

Smell. Khalil instructed as I took in my surroundings before the familiar scents surrounded me. I quickly pushed my way through the crowd as all eyes turned to me. Finally making it to the front, I was surprised at what I saw. There stood a large dark brown wolf bleeding from bite marks holding a basket in its mouth. Surrounding the large wolf were other wolves from this pack and an even larger black wolf that was bearing its teeth at the intruder. As if feeling my gaze, the large dark brown wolf turned and stared at me with its light brown eyes. Quickly stepping forward, I didn't register my movements anymore. It was like I was floating without breaking eye contact with the wolf. I even vaulted over the wolves that tried to keep me from getting too close to the dark brown wolf but they couldn't catch me because I was too distracted.

"Is it really you?" I questioned, running towards the rogue wolf as the large black wolf was on my heels. Quickly dodging the black wolf's pounce, I wrapped my arms around the dark brown wolf's neck as it gently nuzzled the side of my head. "How did you get here, Papa?" I asked as silence filled the air behind me before I noticed the intensity of his wounds. Quietly turning back towards the crowd, I could feel my blood rising as Khalil tried to abruptly take over again.

"Who did this?" Khalil growled while steadily pushing me back as the large black wolf stepped up in front of the others. Was he trying to protect them from our fury? Did they think that they could get away with hurting my papa? That very thought pushed Khalil towards the edge as my papa set the basket down while stepping in front of me. Even though he was wounded pretty badly, he wasn't letting his guard down.

"Stand down." Aiyana demanded as the crowd parted to let her and her husband through. "It's getting late and you need to be assessed by a doctor. Good job at maintaining the border, Damien, but you didn't have to injure him while he's carrying around an infant. He seems to be seeking asylum. Please get seen by a doctor soon." She smiled as I gently touched my dad's blood soaked fur before he wavered. He looked back at me before looking down at the basket. Gently picking up the basket and pulling the blanket back, I was greeted by a small infant who was wrapped in tattered blankets.

[~~~]

I couldn't help the smile that kept making its way onto my face as I gently rocked the infant back and forth. Was this my niece that I had been waiting on before the incident? She was so small and delicate with short strands of brown hair. She had seemed to calm down once she was in my arms after the doctor gave her a once over before switching up with the nurses. The doctor had told me that she was only a few months old and she was doing fine as long as I kept her constantly fed and changed.

"Look at you." I cooed as her eyes fluttered close while she sucked on her pacifier. I glanced around the hospital room before making my way back to the chair next to my dad's hospital bed. Papa was a different story from my niece. He was almost severely dehydrated which didn't help with his wounds and he apparently hadn't eaten in a few days. "Oh, Papa." I sighed while staring at the tan skin on his wrist that peaked out from beneath his bandage. He looked rough. Stubble had covered the lower part of his light brown face. His once joyful light brown eyes were now sunken and dark. He was malnourished and sick. It'd take him some time to become fully rested but that was okay.

||||||
Hello! Longer chapter this time!

I hope you're all doing well and staying safe. Thank you for reading!

Andrea ✿