18 - Valentine's Day

It was February 14th, 1996.

The mass breakout from Azkaban had occurred just a month ago, its new threats looming over the entire wizarding world. In turn, Dumbledore's Army worked even harder, often holding meetings several times a week to ensure they would be well-prepared in the event of danger. Despite the darkness that had revealed itself, Hermione kept a positive outlook, encouraging Ellie to do the same in hopes of easing the students' worries.

"Darling, wake up."

Hermione was crouched at the foot of Ellie's bed, drawing back from the gentle kiss she had placed on the Hufflepuff's lips. The Gryffindor's eyes darted around the room, observing Ellie's roommates to ensure that they stayed sleeping.

"Come on now, Ellie. Wakey, wakey," Hermione urged as she shook Ellie's shoulder gently.

Ellie groaned as she flipped over to her stomach, her limbs sprawled out on her sheets.

"What time is it?" Ellie grumbled through her pillow, barely audible to her girlfriend.

"Nearly six," Hermione answered with a soft tone. "Hurry up, and go get ready. I'll meet you outside."

Hermione left the basement as quietly as she came, standing just outside the barrels as she awaited for her girlfriend. In the meantime, Ellie rolled herself out of bed and quickly freshened up, wrapping Cedric's scarf around her neck hastily. She shuffled out of her dorm, then out of her common room, her mind and body still half asleep.

"Good morning, sleeping beauty," Hermione cooed as Ellie slipped out of the basement, still rubbing her eyes groggily.

"Morning," Ellie croaked as she leaned in to peck her girlfriend's cheek.

"We need to hurry if we want to catch it. We'll miss it if we're too slow," Hermione grinned as she took Ellie's hand and laced her fingers with her own, quickly pulling her to the top of the Astronomy Tower.

"Why are we here?" Ellie questioned, having woken up completely from the exhaustive stairs that preceded their arrival.

"To watch the sunrise, of course. You said it yourself, the views from here are stunning. And right now, all I can see is you," Hermione smirked as she wrapped her arms around Ellie's waist, pulling her closer.

"You're such a flirt," Ellie giggled, taking Hermione's chin with her hand as she leaned in.

The Gryffindor kissed gently, her coffee-stained surface colliding with Ellie's spearmint-tasting lips.

"Mmm... that was nice," Ellie smiled as she broke away, her thumbs stroking Hermione's jaw.

Hermione gave a sly grin as she broke away from the embrace to reach into the back pocket of her jeans. The object she withdrew was a thick roll of parchment, the ink bleeding through slightly from the other side.

"Since it's Valentine's Day, I thought I'd give my wonderful girlfriend a little something," Hermione announced excitedly.

"It's Valentine's already?" Ellie raised her eyebrows, quickly masking her shocked expression. "Not that I forgot, of course. I have much planned for today—like lots of kisses to start with."

Ellie proceeded to attack Hermione's face with quick pecks, making the Gryffindor squeal with a joyous giggle. Though she enjoyed it, Hermione brought her hands up to her face in attempt to slow her girlfriend down.

"Ellie, wait!" Hermione laughed, the Hufflepuff finally drawing back with a pleased beam. "Kisses can come later. First, I want you to read this. I've been working on this for the past few months, just for you. Go on, open it up."

Ellie obeyed with a lingering smile as she unrolled the parchment fully, its end nearly reaching the floor.

You are a thief

And you have stolen my heart.

But take the rest of me with you.

For I trust that you will hold me close.

Here is why I love you:

1. Your smile lights up the room—like fireflies on a summer night.

2. Your heart is exploding with love—like a shaken can of pop.

3. Your eyes are kind and loving, and they twinkle when we're together—like the stars over the Astronomy Tower.

4. Your fingertips are addictive, and I love the way you trace my skin.

5. You are selfless and just, and you protect those around you, no matter what tensions either party may have.

6. You wake up early just to watch me study, even though you hate mornings.

7. You pay attention when I talk about my books, even though you think it's boring.

8. You'd rather have me wear your scarves and sweaters, even if it's freezing cold.

9. You've taught me about the stars, and you've made me realize how beautiful the night sky is.

10. You know how to ease my mind, especially when I become overwhelmed with schoolwork.

The list went on and on, filling nearly every empty inch of the parchment. The neatly written reasons were lined perfectly against each other, looking more of a novel than a "little something".

"You don't have to read it all right now. I know it's a lot. There's about a hundred fifty of them, more or less, so it'll take a while..." Hermione trailed.

"Hermione... this is... just wow," Ellie gasped. "You spoil me, my love."

"Someone like you deserves the world," Hermione replied softly.

Ellie blushed as she cupped Hermione's cheek, bringing her in for a soft kiss, feeling her smile against her lips. They moved with passion, inhaling deeply as they kissed. The Hufflepuff was the first to pull, though she didn't back away as she stared into Hermione's honey-colored eyes.

"Happy Valentine's Day," Ellie whispered.

Hermione smiled even wider as she reached up to tuck a strand of Ellie's hair behind her ear, revealing the entirety of her face. She pressed her lips against the Hufflepuff's jaw, lingering there for a moment too long.

The Gryffindor smirked as she stepped out of the embrace to walk towards the railing, taking Ellie along with her. Ellie stepped behind the girl to embrace her waist from behind, resting her chin on her shoulder.

"It's beautiful," Ellie murmured softly as she watched the sun peek out from over the hills.

"Just like you," Hermione grinned as she placed her hands over Ellie's.

They gazed at the horizon, watching the bright orange flood the sky.