Chapter 11: Ryder

I hear my mate's soft voice as she read Harry Potter. I wanted to open my eyes. I was tired of waiting. I was going to rightfully claim my mate. My fingers twitch and I feel so close to reaching her. My eyelids feel heavy but I open my eyes. The room is a blur but slowly I gain focus. "Alpha?" I hear Dr. Jones's voice. My throat is dry and I blink several times.

Suddenly, I'm hit by the scent of my mate. My wolf, Liam takes over. I sit up, my vision blurs. "Alpha, please relax. You're still on the mend." Dr. Jones explains. I hear the sound of footsteps. Chase appears. "Ryder?" He calls my human's name. I turn my head and stare at him. Elder John joins him into the room. "Liam." Elder John greets me.

I growl in approval. Chase looks worried and walks towards me. "How are you?" He asks, walking slowly. "Fine," I replied, curtly. I looked around my room. My mate's scent still lingered but I realized that it wasn't fresh. My mate was no longer present in the room. Where was my mate? Where could she have gone? Why wasn't she by my side? I needed to get to my mate. I try to get off the bed. Dr. Jones and Elder John hold me down. I shake in anger but I am too weak. "LET ME GO," I growled but they shook their heads. "WHERE IS SHE?" I demanded, my canines appearing. Dr. Jones gives me a confused look.

"My mate," I stated. My claws that grew started to relax as I thought of her silky hair that surrounded her delicate face. Her green eyes and her sinfully plump lips. I turn my head towards my beta for answers. "Ashley's arriving tonight," Chase says, ignoring me. I gritted my teeth and shook my head. She was not my mate. I growled louder. "PAIGE SMITH!" I yelled, my vision turning red.

Dr. Jones observes me with curiosity. Elder John smirks knowingly. Chase sits in his chair, his mouth opening and closing like a fish. Irritated by the lack of response that I was receiving, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I mind link the entire pack. Bring me, my mate. Paige Smith.

Under the effect of my alpha command, Chase dashes out of the room to fetch her and I take deep breaths to keep my temper in check. I occupy my mind with the memory of her shyly smiling at me in the packhouse kitchen. She was mine. I wanted nothing but to run my hands through her hair. To see her blushing. To see her round with my pup. I grinned at the thought of her pregnant.

After what seems hours, the door opens and I wait as Chase pops his head inside. "Paige is here." He announces, opening the door wider. I am greeted by the sight of my mate's rosy cheeks and curious green eyes. I growl as her addictive scent fills the room. She takes a step towards me. "Ryder?" She asks, quietly. That's when I see tear tracks all over her cheeks. Without thinking, I launch myself at Chase but Elder John holds me back.

My mate places her hand on my arm. The sparks sizzle at our touch. I pull her into my arms and nuzzle her neck. I inhale her scent that has hints of salt. "Who hurt you?" I demanded, struggling to control my anger. How dare anyone hurt their future luna?! I will kill them! She takes my hand and she shakes her head. "No one." She says, gently. It's clear that she doesn't want to talk about it so I drop the subject. She looks at my eyes and tries to wiggle out of my hold but I tighten my grip. She was not going anywhere. "Ryder, please let go of me." She asks, biting her lower lip.

Little vixen. She drives me insane. I shook my head. "I'm sorry, sweetheart. I'm Liam." I replied. Paige turns her head towards Dr. Jones and gives him a puzzled look. "I thought this might happen but it's a rare case." He starts. I pull Paige close to me. She looks cute with her eyebrows furrowed together. I nip her neck. She lets out a loud yelp and turns beet red. I laugh in delight at her unexpected reaction. Chase cracks a smile. She slaps my arm and I give her a look of mock hurt.

"Did it hurt? I'm sorry." She blurbs, looking worried. I grinned. She was so cute to tease. She scowls and turns to Dr. Jones. "Healing must have taken more energy for Ryder to return so his wolf surfaced instead of him." He says as I play with my mate's hair. She scrunches her nose up and looks at me. Her green eyes look into mine and I give her a smile. She sighs and buries her face in her hands.

What was wrong? Did she not like me? "Mate? What's wrong?" I asked, my heart on the verge of breaking. She does not respond. She remains in the same position. I whimper and gently pull her hands away from her face. Only to find that she had fallen asleep. I hold back my laughter. But I see the dark circles under her eyes. My mate was overworking herself. Elder John chuckles as I gently lay her down in the bed next to me. "Well, we talk about this more, tomorrow." He declares as he drags a confused Chase out of the room. Dr. Jones follows them out the door.

I lay down and spoon my mate. I hold her close to me. I plant a soft kiss on her forehead. I smile as she shivers at my touch. She was perfect and there was no way I would let her slip through my fingers easily like last time. I wrap my arm around her waist and fall asleep, feeling complete for the first time in my life.